Numb leg

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Morning all. I know we are not doctors etc.

I woke up a couple of days ago to a very large numb patch on my right calf. The patch has grown and now I have a smaller patch on the left side. I did have a bit of leg ache on the right side, but that has gone.

I am thinking sciatica. But there is always diabetic neuropathy, although I have always associated that more with feet. Not to mention a whole host of nasties with long names.

I will try and get a gp appt if it doesn't go away, and I have high hopes of being seen before the autumn. In the meantime, could anyone with personal experience of neuropathy tell me if it sounds similar? Likewise sciatica. Many thanks.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I have sciatica. One of my first symptoms was a 'cold' numbness but it was in the outer part of the upper thigh on one leg. Sciatica usually* affects one leg and the first symptom is almost always a feeling of discomfort in the buttocks. All numb feelings without an obvious cause needs to be investigated so you are right to see your GP. Hope this helps.

*Depends where the root cause of the sciatica lays.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks, @Guzzler , I am a bit worried. But trying to get a gp appt is like trying to find a hen with teeth.

True. I have stopped all attemps to get an appointment by phone and I now queue up at the crack of dawn outside the surgery.

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have problems with my left leg due to blocked stents following a DVT treatment. That's left me with restricted circulation, and neuropathic complications. In which I learned that neuropathic symptoms manifest in different ways. Sometimes it's numbness, sometimes it's pins & needles, sometimes hot, sometimes cold, sometimes just plain pain. And now being diagnosed diabetic, have a higher risk of more complications, if I don't keep my BG under control. As I understand it, risk of diabetic neuropathy increases with duration of high BG and is greatly reduced if that's kept under control.

As for diagnostics, I had a lot of ultrasound and some scans to check circulation. GPs can also check ankle brachial blood pressure to see if that's ok. Sometimes changing posture or just giving my leg a bit of a massage to encourage blood flow helps, but you really need a doc to check it out, especially if numbness gets worse or spreads. Also keep an eye on your feet colour. If they go purple, get to A&E. When I had my DVT, that was the first sign, and then my foot & leg swelled rapidly.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. I know we are not doctors etc.

I woke up a couple of days ago to a very large numb patch on my right calf. The patch has grown and now I have a smaller patch on the left side. I did have a bit of leg ache on the right side, but that has gone.

I am thinking sciatica. But there is always diabetic neuropathy, although I have always associated that more with feet. Not to mention a whole host of nasties with long names.

I will try and get a gp appt if it doesn't go away, and I have high hopes of being seen before the autumn. In the meantime, could anyone with personal experience of neuropathy tell me if it sounds similar? Likewise sciatica. Many thanks.

It doesn't sound like sciatica to me, or at least not the sort I had. The sciatic nerves run from the base of the spine somewhere and down each leg to the big toe (I think), one down the left leg and one down the right leg. Normally only one leg is affected. Mine was very numb down one leg making it extremely difficult to put weight on the leg, lie down or sit down for any length of time. Mine was caused by the nerve being trapped by a prolapsed lumber disc. My whole leg was numb. I cannot remember any patches, but it was over 30 years ago.

Fingers crossed you can get a GP appointment soon.

Reactions: Kentoldlady1

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Kentoldlady1

You say you woke up with this? Did it go when you got up and moved about?
The reason I ask is that I get @Guzzler symptoms of a numb outer thigh quite regularly. Either through walking, sitting in a lazy-boy chair or when waking a distance. The symptoms disappear quickly when I stop doing what's causing it.
In my case, before I was diagnosed diabetic, my GP diagnosed https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/guide/meralgia-paresthetica#1
There are various nerves that run down our legs and trapped nerves cause a variety of symptoms including numbness / aches.
It's possible that you're trapping something by the position you're in.
Only one idea, but it's a good idea to get it checked out.

Reactions: Kentoldlady1

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi @Kentoldlady1

You say you woke up with this? Did it go when you got up and moved about?
The reason I ask is that I get @Guzzler symptoms of a numb outer thigh quite regularly. Either through walking, sitting in a lazy-boy chair or when waking a distance. The symptoms disappear quickly when I stop doing what's causing it.
In my case, before I was diagnosed diabetic, my GP diagnosed https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/guide/meralgia-paresthetica#1
There are various nerves that run down our legs and trapped nerves cause a variety of symptoms including numbness / aches.
It's possible that you're trapping something by the position you're in.
Only one idea, but it's a good idea to get it checked out.

The symptoms I spoke of in my comment were just those I noticed at the beginning, the condition worsened until it now doesn't matter what position I am in or what I am doing the symptoms persist. Other features include tingling, pins and needles, burning, buckling of the knees, muscle twitching and the worst pain that is electrical in nature. In my case it is inoperable and degenerative.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The symptoms I spoke of in my comment were just those I noticed at the beginning, the condition worsened until it now doesn't matter what position I am in or what I am doing the symptoms persist. Other features include tingling, pins and needles, burning, buckling of the knees, muscle twitching and the worst pain that is electrical in nature. In my case it is inoperable and degenerative.

My sympathies, that's awful for you.

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
do not wait go to outpatients early explain symptoms and insist on seeing a Doctor. have the phone no of locsl paper on speed dial if refused a docs appt. call them and make sure hospital knows who you are calling. They will not like bad publicity.

do not be sent to a young medical student