Nutrition and exercise

johnrubinstein

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Guys, have just signed up for the 2019 charity London Moon Walk. I’ll be doing the half marathon option and since I’m T2 (no meds), just wondered what’s best in terms of nutrition for energy and hydration during the walk.

Thanks

D

Deleted Account

I did the Full Moon a few months after being diagnosed with type 1. The atmosphere was great and I thoroughly enjoyed the event.
As I have type 1, I cannot advise on nutrition for you. However, I would recommend practice of a similar distance and trial what you choose to eat, carry and wear. I remember lots of drink stations along the way with some food although I took my own. There were toilets ever 2 miles but the queues were long until the 14 mile mark (when the Half Mooners had left and their were less walkers)
The hardest thing for me was lack of sleep fo 36 hours. Depending where you live you may get some after your Half Moon but I did not get home until Sunday lunchtime
Have fun and raise lots of money for a very worthy cause.

johnrubinstein

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks @helensaramy. Much appreciated. Yes, I’m building up to the distance. I regularly power walk 3 miles (daily), but yesterday upped it to 5 miles. Will increase by 2.miles a week. What to eat though... . Guess will just have to as you say trial it. Thinking of tangerines and nuts during the walk. And water.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I did it in Edinburgh a few years ago.
You will get some sort of pasta before you kick off ( not good for low carb diet but you'll walk it off) .
I also took a couple of bottles of water , a couple of bananas and I think some dark chocolate.
Enjoy it the atmosphere is amazing