Nutrition for T2D walking a marathon

johnrubinstein

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi

I’m a 69 year old well controlled T2 (no meds), diagnosed 3 years ago. I walk 5 k pretty much 5-6 times per week

Yesterday, I decided to challenge myself and completed a walking marathon at an average speed of 16 min 29 sec per mile.

I really didn’t think through the nutrition aspect. I drank water and ate cashew nuts during the walk (BTW, I pretty. Much follow an LCHF diet). The last 6 miles were a struggle and I had to stop a couple of times due to cramping legs.

I set out early in the morning without eating breakfast, which I’m now told was not a good idea.

Can anybody give me pointers on nutrition for T2D and walking a marathon?

Thanks

John

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I set out early in the morning without eating breakfast, which I’m now told was not a good idea.

Hi there

Firstly, congratulations, that's some speed!

As a fellow long distance walker - I quite regularly go 20+ miles in one go - I can vouch for the fact that eating beforehand is not a pre-requisite! Most often I am water fasted throughout, and if I did really need something while out and about, like you I'd grab something low carb - some cold meat or cheese from a deli/supermarket or some nuts.

My guess is that your electrolytes were depleted so a supply of those - I have a link to some with zero carbs that I'll come back and share later - to put into your water as you go, combined with ensuring you drink enough along the way should be enough. It's surprisingly easy to get dehydrated, even when it's not particularly hot.

You might be interested to have a read of this:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/zero-calories-5day-100miles-experiment.177033/#post-2315677

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did a long walk across Spain at 66yrs. as a low carb T2, it took about 35 days. I rarely had breakfast, drank water and a drink containing electrolytes. Midday snacks were a combination of, cheese, sardines a bit messy, salamis, good for electrolytes small amounts of dried fruit, and nuts. I salted my food in the evenings and had no problems during the walk. As @Goonergal suggests cramp is likely to be a lack of electrolytes particularly if you are on a low salt diet. Keep up the good work.

Reactions: Goonergal

johnrubinstein

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I did a long walk across Spain at 66yrs. as a low carb T2, it took about 35 days. I rarely had breakfast, drank water and a drink containing electrolytes. Midday snacks were a combination of, cheese, sardines a bit messy, salamis, good for electrolytes small amounts of dried fruit, and nuts. I salted my food in the evenings and had no problems during the walk. As @Goonergal suggests cramp is likely to be a lack of electrolytes particularly if you are on a low salt diet. Keep up the good work.

Thanks @Bittern! Thanks for the tips. I’m not consciously on a low salt diet, but, as a kid, I grew up in a salt free household due to my dad’s health. So I’ve never developed a taste for it. At any rate have taken all this on board for future long walks.

Reactions: Goonergal