1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Nutrition for T2D walking a marathon

Discussion in 'Fitness, Exercise and Sport' started by johnrubinstein, Nov 25, 2020.

1. johnrubinstein

johnrubinstein Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi

I’m a 69 year old well controlled T2 (no meds), diagnosed 3 years ago. I walk 5 k pretty much 5-6 times per week

Yesterday, I decided to challenge myself and completed a walking marathon at an average speed of 16 min 29 sec per mile.

I really didn’t think through the nutrition aspect. I drank water and ate cashew nuts during the walk (BTW, I pretty. Much follow an LCHF diet). The last 6 miles were a struggle and I had to stop a couple of times due to cramping legs.

I set out early in the morning without eating breakfast, which I’m now told was not a good idea.

Can anybody give me pointers on nutrition for T2D and walking a marathon?

Thanks

John

2. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi there

Firstly, congratulations, that's some speed!

As a fellow long distance walker - I quite regularly go 20+ miles in one go - I can vouch for the fact that eating beforehand is not a pre-requisite! Most often I am water fasted throughout, and if I did really need something while out and about, like you I'd grab something low carb - some cold meat or cheese from a deli/supermarket or some nuts.

My guess is that your electrolytes were depleted so a supply of those - I have a link to some with zero carbs that I'll come back and share later - to put into your water as you go, combined with ensuring you drink enough along the way should be enough. It's surprisingly easy to get dehydrated, even when it's not particularly hot.

You might be interested to have a read of this:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/zero-calories-5day-100miles-experiment.177033/#post-2315677

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. johnrubinstein

Thank you @Goonergal! Very useful. Yes, if you could share that link I would most grateful.

4. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bittern

Bittern Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I did a long walk across Spain at 66yrs. as a low carb T2, it took about 35 days. I rarely had breakfast, drank water and a drink containing electrolytes. Midday snacks were a combination of, cheese, sardines a bit messy, salamis, good for electrolytes small amounts of dried fruit, and nuts. I salted my food in the evenings and had no problems during the walk. As @Goonergal suggests cramp is likely to be a lack of electrolytes particularly if you are on a low salt diet. Keep up the good work.

• Like Like x 1
  6. johnrubinstein

Thanks @Bittern! Thanks for the tips. I’m not consciously on a low salt diet, but, as a kid, I grew up in a salt free household due to my dad’s health. So I’ve never developed a taste for it. At any rate have taken all this on board for future long walks.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook