Nutritionist tomorrow

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Well you can just nod. I don't (didn't) they won't see me again.
I did try to explain that I got my carbs from fruit and veg, but she wanted me to eat shredded wheat etc, I said it put up my blood sugars. They really have no answer to that.
I just said I would rather die with my feet on.
At that point she said we can't help you can we!!!!!

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's easy to be intimidated by professionals but they're trained to be impersonal about individual cases so, in reality, you can't really upset them if you're polite in your approach but firm in the stance you may then decide to take.

The best ones will respect your position and ask you how you've arrived at it. You can reply: "through reading, listening, questioning, observing what works for me and how I'm feeling, and seeing the empirical (good word to throw into a medical conversation, that) results I'm getting - weight, BG, HbA1c, cessation/lack of symptoms" etc. They may then make comments about the possible problems (if there are any) with your diet, or suggest modifications.

None of that should be in the form of commands or threats; it should be backed-up with some reasons, however concise they may be. I know they'll often cite lack of time and that they're busy people (but aren't we all?).

If they fail that test, then IMHO they're not worth consulting. It's your body and ultimately you're the one who has to live with the consequences of what's being done to it; they should never forget that they can simply walk away.

Finally, there's a huge difference between a clinician feeling they're constantly having their time wasted by someone who goes to see them every week, argues each time and never follows any advice, and someone else that they only see 3-4 times a year but who, in between times, is desperately trying to get better and wants to help themselves by intelligently researching their problem, and is following a course of action that's patently working well.

Good luck with the consultation. There are one or two levers you can pull, if you're really stuck: IME, if you can fix them with a long (but friendly) gaze - so that every time they look up from their notes you're looking at them - you'll usually have the upper hand. Alternatively, if you're really stuck, there's nothing like a long, considered silence from you to make the other party think they've lost the plot

Let us all know how you go ......

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Pompeygirl said:
Nod smile and take the diet sheets they give me then.. Come home and carry on :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Yep! and don't forget every cloud has a silver lining as those ol' NHS diet sheets are a great free source of fuel for the winter home heating when added to the wood burner! :wink:

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Personally, there's little point going, if you don't intend to listen to anything, and it's wasting both your time. There's also little point in trying all the old tricks to gain the upper hand either. I wouldn't expect a manic stare, or a long silence to convince them low carbs and high saturated fat is the new way.

I've sat down with mine, had some good conversations about the types of carbs I can eat, she's thrown in some very good advice on how to prepare a balanced menu throughout the day, including all the nutrients, vitamins, and minerals that I need, and what I should put together as a main meal, and what to eat as a snack in between. She respects I'm a diabetic, I respect she's spent several years learning, and actually doing her job.

And expect her to tell you to eat carbs, or at least show you that you aren't carb free, well not unless you live solely on protein and fat, which would be an interesting fly on the wall experience at a nutritionists.

Pompeygirl

Well... I need to eat starchy food at every meal to control and maintain my BS and for my brain health. I need 3 pieces of fruit a day but not all at once. I need to reduce saturated fat and im not to fry my eggs in olive oil ooops. Ive done really well with my weight loss, she said, but if i want to lose more eat less cheese. She did say that i dont have to eat bread i can eat tea cakes instead!

Pompeygirl

Yep presumably that means hot cross buns too!! Yummy!!! She drew THE PLATE for me. So i guess as long as the carbs fit in that space im fine :) i didnt think it was the right time to introduce the topic of fasting. That will have to wait till next time

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pompeygirl said:
It was an education. She told me my body doesnt work well because i was over weight and my cells became a bit "deformed" so they dont work well. Interesting

"Dumbing-down" is alive and well - and not just in the media, then .........

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Pompeygirl said:
Yep presumably that means hot cross buns too!! Yummy!!! She drew THE PLATE for me. So i guess as long as the carbs fit in that space im fine :) i didnt think it was the right time to introduce the topic of fasting. That will have to wait till next time

Hot cross buns contain sugar, tea cakes don't. Unless you choose to add it.
I can manage a tea cake, I make them with rye flour, almond flour, and soya flour. Non candied dried fruit. Canderel if you want the sweet taste. (I don't)
My dietician is fine with that.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Pompeygirl said:
Yep presumably that means hot cross buns too!! Yummy!!! She drew THE PLATE for me. So i guess as long as the carbs fit in that space im fine :)
Looks like Giverney needs to introduce that "Tongue firmly in cheek" icon PDQ :lol:

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Mine said I could eat scones!!! What with jam and clotted cream too.

Pompeygirl

Haha dawn i dont know how i kept a straight face, she said you need some glucose, i replied i have loads why do i need more? She didnt have an answer.. She then said "thats standard dietry advice for diabetics"