Nuts

garrycrone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Anyone got any views or data on the pros and cons of eating nuts. I am so confused over the fats issue (good and bad fats) and the general trauma of cholesterol control that it is actually driving me nuts. I am a deteriorating Type 2; diagnosed about four years ago and on Metformin. I have quite got to like pistachio nuts (unsalted from Asda or Tesco) and enjoy them as a munch between meals or later in the evening before bed. They don't seem to have much effect on my bsl but I can't seem to find any sense on the internet as to the fat issue - are they good or bad. Probably both I suppose. Anyway, many thanks. Good luck and take care. My diabetes seems to affect most things but I am blowed if it is going to get me down.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Garry,

For me, nuts are just about the perfect snack. Most are low in carbohydrate, except perhaps peanuts (not really a nut anyway) and cashews. Macadamias are my favourite, although a bit pricey. Sainsbury's do 60g bags which I usually keep a stash of. They hardly budge my blood sugar at all, and are really good to eat.

They're a great source of protein, especially for vegetarians, and the fat content is an irrelevance, frankly.

All the best,

fergus

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Nuts contain the essential fatty acids, linoleic and linolenic acids, which are vital for growth, healthy skin and hair, blood pressure control, immune response and blood clotting. In addition, the fats in nuts mostly contain unsaturated fats, especially monounsaturated fat. This type of fat does not raise blood cholesterol levels like saturated fats.

Monounsaturated fats (MUFA) have the additional benefit of raising high-density lipoprotein, the "good" cholesterol. Nuts also provide one of the best natural sources of vitamin E, an antioxidant, and are rich in protein, dietary fiber, magnesium, copper, phosphorus, potassium, selenium and folate.

Like everything else,eat in moderation! I love nuts ,I eat them every day at some point,but don't over do it.