Obesity and Weight loss by Increasing Metabolism

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
PEP (Precise Exercise Point)

Obesity and Weight Loss by Metabolism

By Mango Chutney
It is a sad thing when the clinically obese get uncontrollably bigger even though they try very hard to control their weight.

I have been looking into the problem in my own way and seeing what I can come up with from my past experience and of course surfing the net. Surfing the net always has the problem of the hidden agenda of the poster, who might be flogging something off and wants your money.

Low metabolism and low enthusiasm

It is reasonably obvious that when this condition occurs the body has gone into a low metabolism and the patient has lost energy and enthusiasm.

But the question is just what can be done about it. The patient is not capable of throwing a switch and jogging down to the gym and lifting weights then finish with a water aerobics class.

The patient could though, sit down and watch TV and quietly exercise a few muscles at time without having to move their whole body weight.

It needs a name, maybe “Precise Exercise Point” (PEP)

Let’s call it PEP that sounds like it might fix a low metabolism – feeling a bit low then try PEP.

This would do two things

a) Tone the muscles if not strengthen them

b) Change their metabolism from basic rest up to light activity

T.E.N.S units and Elastic Bands

I have been considering the problem and looking back on my experience with muscle work and I think the T.E.N.S unit and something like this I found on ebay 1.5m Yoga Pilates Resistance Rubber Stretch Band Fitness Elastic Slimming Fitness

My Muscle Experience

I was a muscle man more than 30 years ago for 10 years.

In the greyhound racing industry the person who does the physio on the dogs is called a muscle man. I did the physio for our dogs every week for 10 years and on one occasion I reluctantly did some work on the local star soccer player.

I used what was then known as a Muscle Contractor and is now known as a T.E.N.S. unit and there was no internet and I was self-taught but I got great results and they could actually be measured in $$ (prize money).

My machine was built into a attaché/brief case and the modern version fits in a cigarette packet. Mine plugged into mains power and the T.E.N.S. is battery powered.

What a T.E.N.S. Does

T.E.N.S. operates very simply by sending a minute electrical signal to nerves that activate the muscle. So you find the TRIGGER point then put the probe on your skin and the next thing you feel is your muscle is doing a regular involuntary spasm.

When the muscle tightens the blood is squeezed out and when it is released the new blood goes in and it is blood flow that repairs muscle. (despite claims by anyone it is only blood flow or blood flow and drugs that repairs muscle)

As you get used to this spasm - release - spasm – release, your system “lets go” and you can turn it up harder without discomfort. This can actually pull your muscle in tight/harder than your brain signal does because the brain always wants to keep something in reserve. T.E.N.S is used by elite athletes trying to use their muscle’s full muscle power including “reserve” power.

My son blew his knee playing indoor soccer and had keyhole surgery and the physio once per week was a waste of time and money. So he hired a T.E.N.S. unit and put it on for hours at a time while he learned guitar, and he was right as rain in a few days.

My experience with Metabolism

My experience with metabolism and T.E.N.S. is zero but I cannot help thinking that a clinically obese person would benefit from using a T.E.N.S.

How would I do it.

It has to be a “game” a “voyage of discovery” an “achievement” for the patient. So they have to manage and innovate how they use it but this is how I would suggest they start

· Read the instructions that come with the machine

· Find the trigger point for some of your major muscles

· Use the machine when you are seated watching TV or whatever you normally do

· Make sure the machine is set as high as you can handle it for maximum results

The longer you leave the machine on the longer your metabolism will be higher so we are talking hours.

There is not much more you need to know other than T.E.N.S. are cheap to buy and sometimes they are available free from health care agencies.

Elastic Band Resistance Muscle Building

One of these worked for my wife when she was getting her smashed shoulder back up and running. They definitely work to build muscle and strength but once again you can do it without having to move your whole body at the same time.

These elastic strips are inexpensive and fit in a drawer but we do not want them put away out of sight – do we.

Pep Up with PEP

So if you ask me how to get the clinically obese up and running I would suggest a progressive PEP program starting with a T.E.N.S. then adding Elastic Resistance and I would be talking minimum of 4 hours per day for a start and then extending the time and adding more total body exercise like walking or swimming.

I would expect big changes in 4 weeks.

Have a check-up

I presume that the clinically obese are supervised by a Doctor but if not they should be

The End and the Beginning

This is the end of this article but maybe PEP is the beginning of a new lifestyle for someone

Diet and fluids are important for weight loss and extra protein for muscle building and multivitamins just in case you have a deficiency.

Make it a game and set up your own 4 week program, you might choose another 4 week program depending on the results.

A one week program might be too short but you should check your progress – but keep off the scales for at least the first week. Our bodies resist change then they cave in and make the necessary change.

So short term results mean nothing.

Enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant and ignorant people.
Must admit buying a Tens machine has helped me in the past when ive had aching muscles and a bad back etc.A 15 min session works wonders.You can buy em for about £15 from most chemists Lloyds, Boots etc.

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
Must admit buying a Tens machine has helped me in the past when ive had aching muscles and a bad back etc.A 15 min session works wonders.You can buy em for about £15 from most chemists Lloyds, Boots etc.
Thanks @johnboy412000

So what do you reckon 4 hours per day on different muscles for a week will that change anything?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't know about in Europe but in the US, electrical muscle stimulators are not allowed to be sold as weight loss aids for the simple reason testing has not been able to show that they are effective.

Heres one trial that measured calorie usage
They used 30 mins stimulation. They applied it for 10 min at three different levels;
1) just perceiving stimulation,
2) where it could be seen
3) maximum tolerated
The average calorie use (ie at rest ) was 65.43 calories an hour,
level 1 :68.3cal/h,
level 2: 71.8cal/h
level 3 : 76.14cal/h .

The respiratory exchange rate increased a little from 79 at base to 83 at the strongest level. That indicates that fat was primarily being used for fuel; just as it is with people when they aren't exercising) so they might use a little more fat during the period.

However, just compare 76cal an hour with walking even at even the slowest rate (say 2mph) which will use 200+ calories. And most people couldn't tolerate the higher level of stimulation for an hour either.

Another trial used higher strengths but had some drop outs because they couldn't tolerate the stimulation. Those that could and used the device for 29 hours over a period of 6 weeks had a slight but statistically significant increase in quadriceps strength and could walk a bit faster on a treadmill but there was no decrease in BMI

Personally, I think that You'd be better off with the pilates bands and a pilates video but that would mean being a bit more active!

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks @AndBreathe yes I write as Mango Chutney and I sign my artwork with a red wombat stamp so I bob up as Artwombat too, Pretty much I never know who I am, but it is all good fun. There is nothing too sinister and there is no money involved I just find something that interests me and I write or paint or build it.

When I logged into here I was making a Forge at our Men's shed to do some aluminium castings so that is where I got that name.

I have no hidden agendas

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @AndBreathe yes I write as Mango Chutney and I sign my artwork with a red wombat stamp so I bob up as Artwombat too, Pretty much I never know who I am, but it is all good fun. There is nothing too sinister and there is no money involved I just find something that interests me and I write or paint or build it.

When I logged into here I was making a Forge at our Men's shed to do some aluminium castings so that is where I got that name.

I have no hidden agendas

I wasn't suggesting a hidden agenda, just noticed the sites you tag to are quite different to many often used on here.

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I don't know about in Europe but in the US, electrical muscle stimulators are not allowed to be sold as weight loss aids for the simple reason testing has not been able to show that they are effective.

Heres one trial that measured calorie usage
They used 30 mins stimulation. They applied it for 10 min at three different levels;
1) just perceiving stimulation,
2) where it could be seen
3) maximum tolerated
The average calorie use (ie at rest ) was 65.43 calories an hour,
level 1 :68.3cal/h,
level 2: 71.8cal/h
level 3 : 76.14cal/h .

The respiratory exchange rate increased a little from 79 at base to 83 at the strongest level. That indicates that fat was primarily being used for fuel; just as it is with people when they aren't exercising) so they might use a little more fat during the period.

However, just compare 76cal an hour with walking even at even the slowest rate (say 2mph) which will use 200+ calories. And most people couldn't tolerate the higher level of stimulation for an hour either.

Another trial used higher strengths but had some drop outs because they couldn't tolerate the stimulation. Those that could and used the device for 29 hours over a period of 6 weeks had a slight but statistically significant increase in quadriceps strength and could walk a bit faster on a treadmill but there was no decrease in BMI

Personally, I think that You'd be better off with the pilates bands and a pilates video but that would mean being a bit more active!

Thanks @phoenix for your great input you have thought it through well but there are a couple of things.

What happens is the longer you use the machines the higher you can increase the level without discomfort which is the opposite of what you would expect.

My original machine came with little info and it was a people machine and I wanted it for the dogs. The dogs can't talk (of course) and to find out if they were sore or had injuries I used the machine on high -ish. When the dogs let me know I had hit a sore spot I turned the machine down lower for treatment the longer the treatment went the higher I could turn it up and even higher than when the dogs had "complained".

When my son blew his knee he had the machine on as high as it would go from when he came home from work until he went to bed - for about a week.

But what I am talking about here is the clinically obese who cannot do much exercise and the second phase is the Pilates bands when they can do it.

The tests that you quoted may not be for over 20 stone clinically obese.

Because the muscle activity has minimal exercise value I was thinking minimum 4 hours.

But all that said I appreciate your input I need as much input as I can get and then you never know someone might give it a go.

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Last edited by a moderator:

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks @johnboy412000 The more comments I can get the more help it is to find out if the idea has merit.

It would be fun for me if someone actually tried it for a week and if it got them started with a new lifestyle I would be chuffed.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @johnboy412000 The more comments I can get the more help it is to find out if the idea has merit.

It would be fun for me if someone actually tried it for a week and if it got them started with a new lifestyle I would be chuffed.
Looking at @johnboy412000 's link, the following statement is in the warning section, nearing the bottom of the page:

"Cancer patients, people with diabetes or epilepsy should seek medical advice before using this product."

I appreciate that many things have very risk averse warnings for diabetics, e.g. spa treatments, leg waxing and some massage techniques, but you should be aware.

I have used a TENS machine to manage pain from sports injuries some years ago, but I can't think that many would be inspired to take up exercise on the back of their legs twitching throughout their evening in front of the TV. Maybe I'm just harsh.

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Looking at @johnboy412000 's link, the following statement is in the warning section, nearing the bottom of the page:

"Cancer patients, people with diabetes or epilepsy should seek medical advice before using this product."

I appreciate that many things have very risk averse warnings for diabetics, e.g. spa treatments, leg waxing and some massage techniques, but you should be aware.

I have used a TENS machine to manage pain from sports injuries some years ago, but I can't think that many would be inspired to take up exercise on the back of their legs twitching throughout their evening in front of the TV. Maybe I'm just harsh.
My son took it in his stride. It started like this,"Hey Dad, the Physio once a week and the exercise bike is not doing much to help what can I do?" They were still quite expensive and I had loaned my machine and never got it back so I said have a look in the yellow pages you might be able to hire one.

My sons are quite independent and clever so I left him to his own devices but I did say a few pulses does nothing, blood flow does the fixing so the longer it is on the better. We had a big rumpus room downstairs and I did not see them much but it was much later that I found out how long he had been leaving it on, and I was surprised. He said it was not a problem so he kept it going until he went to bed.

But others may be different because he does not seem to have much fear and I am not sure about his pain threshold.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My son took it in his stride. It started like this,"Hey Dad, the Physio once a week and the exercise bike is not doing much to help what can I do?" They were still quite expensive and I had loaned my machine and never got it back so I said have a look in the yellow pages you might be able to hire one.

My sons are quite independent and clever so I left him to his own devices but I did say a few pulses does nothing, blood flow does the fixing so the longer it is on the better. We had a big rumpus room downstairs and I did not see them much but it was much later that I found out how long he had been leaving it on, and I was surprised. He said it was not a problem so he kept it going until he went to bed.

But others may be different because he does not seem to have much fear and I am not sure about his pain threshold.

Are you saying he used it to manage pain, or to inspire him to exercise?

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Why would you want to hire one when you can buy one cheaply.Mine cost £14 a few years ago and its there if i get a stiff neck or back ache as i have a weak back and also suffer cervical spondylosis so the machine is there if i need it.Just remember to remove the batteries if its to be stood for a long time or they will no doubt leak and ruin the machine

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Are you saying he used it to manage pain, or to inspire him to exercise?

The one i have isnt designed for exercising or indeed prolong use.Its there purely for pain relief when the going gets tough so to speak.ive only used it a few times.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The one i have isnt designed for exercising or indeed prolong use.Its there purely for pain relief when the going gets tough so to speak.ive only used it a few times.

I'm not suggesting you don't use it. I would use mine if I was struggling. I think these warnings are aimed at those with nerve problems. I was pointing it out to Forge, as he's looking for someone to experiment for him.

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm not suggesting you don't use it. I would use mine if I was struggling. I think these warnings are aimed at those with nerve problems. I was pointing it out to Forge, as he's looking for someone to experiment for him.

Yeah its with anything else theres always a warning but not everyone is the same so to speak.I cant think why diabetics arent supposed to use it though or indeed cancer patients

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
After his knee op using keyhole surgery to clean up the knee and remove torn cartilage + the ligaments were stretched from the impact from the fall so he needed blood flow to heal and he needed to work the muscles without overloading them but of course it was too sore to use the leg too much and it was all up hill from the train to home.

Like I said I was not encouraging him to do anything he is smart enough to know what he needs to do so I left him to work it out for himself. My experience was with dogs not people!!!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been using TENS for pain relief for years.
Still fat, still have pain.