OCT scan

macabee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
People who think Diabetes is 'nothing much to worry about'
I have my eyes tested at specsavers, which offers the optical coherence tomography [OCT] scan. My question is if I have the OCT scan do I still need the NHS eye scan?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I have my eyes tested at specsavers, which offers the optical coherence tomography [OCT] scan. My question is if I have the OCT scan do I still need the NHS eye scan?

I would answer by saying define 'need'.

Specsavers and the NHS will not share customer / patient data so if there's anything that you want to be part of your medical records then you will need the NHS.

Sadly, I also distrust Specsavers competence and would prefer an NHS test / consultation. This is a purely personal view based on a past experience not related to OCT scans.

Dark Horse

Yes. Unlike most optometrists, the diabetic eye screening programme:-
  1. Also looks at areas of the retina which are not covered by the OCT scan (so can detect sight-threatening retinopathy which does not show up on OCT)
  2. Has graders who are qualified experts in detecting all types of diabetic retinopathy
  3. Has a robust quality assurance scheme to ensure everyone works to the same standard nationally
  4. Has close ties with the local ophthalmology department (the Clinical Lead is generally a Consultant Ophthalmologist there) and may be able to share images with them
The diabetic eye screening programmes are NOT experts in other conditions which the OCT may detect such as glaucoma or AMD. It's recommended that people have both a normal sight test and the diabetic eye screening - the tests are complementary. Whether someone also wishes to have an OCT scan as well is an individual choice.

Reactions: ianf0ster