Odd one

TonyTruthful

Hi All,

This is a heavy one. :eh:

I can’t help but read all the horror stories and the bad bits about type 1 diabetes. I search the internet reading upsetting stories about people who die early because of the disease. For some reason it makes me feel better and I think it’s because it enhances my feeling of carelessness towards life and D. I then go onto make excuses for behaving badly and reel of the stories to my friends and family saying this is what’s going to happen to me blah blah….

I don’t do it all of the time, jut comes in phases and I’m not depressed.

Anyone relate? :wave:

TT

SandyDee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh yes!!
I spent years denying I had diabetes, I didn't feel like there was anything 'wrong' with me and thought the doctors were wrong. Eventually of course I had to admit I was wrong and they were right, but I was so used to bad control that I made loads of excuses to continue my behaviour. My mother was a nurse and so I knew all the diabetic horror stories and would regularly use them as reasons to misbehave.

TonyTruthful

Thanks Sandy, I’m glad I’m not to only one. :D

Forget it though; it’s just me wallowing around in my own self-pity annoying people. I am sorry.

Peace

Amaal

Honestly, at times when i over think about the illness and all the negative things associated with it to be particular all the other serious illnesses and diseases associated with diabetes, i just think of all the other people who are going through much more serious illnesses, like cancer. People who don't have time on their side and know approximately how much time they have left to live. This way of thinking makes me grateful that I'm not in that position rather i have an illness which i can live a healthy life with given that i comply with taking the responsibility of my illness by eating well, taking my meds and exercising. Im a strong believer in God and i feel that my faith is primarily what makes me strong. Always remember to count your blessings, you have far more then you can count believe me.

#Gratitude when given, patience when denies

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Marfmama

I know what you mean amaal - weeks after I was diagnosed one of my close friends lost her mum to cancer. And there was my friend saying "poor you" and I was like HEY! This is something I have control over, her mum was very ill and couldn't do anything about it, I felt it would be an insult to people suffering like that to not bother trying to improve my condition when I have that chance to. Not always easy to do and I still make big mistakes but I try to remember that feeling whenever I can!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App