Odd test results

Rodders_UK

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi all,

First a bit of history,

Male, 50 years old, terrifying high carb diet for 49 of those years (now fixed) nearly solved my high HBac1 problems but ...

I was recently diagnosed with pre diabetes (High HBac1 results 6 weeks ago) which I received after a year of badgering my doctor to investigate my suspicions, him refusing and me paying for my own blood test. The goal was to diagnose a suspect cause of my array of weird illnesses that I believed were all related to my blood sugar levels being wanky, which I believe is being caused by medication (carvedilol) I'm taking.

This journey started 12 months ago when I started to make a connection between very frequent headaches/migraines, skin ulcers (and other rather undesirable symptoms) and my intake of what I though at first was just sugar. It turns out it's not sugar, it's carbs and the difference between simple and complex carbs is like night and day. The second odd thing was the symptoms seemed to occur weekly, indicating something I was eating at weekends was causing the problem. One year later and it's obvious it's not the "thing" I am eating, it's the amount of carbs, which increases at weekends, eating out etc.

The third thing I noticed was food labeling is utter garbage, you can't trust what's written on food labels (looking at you sainsburys) and I now eat no processed foods of any type. Pain in the ass, but relief from constant headaches makes it worth the effort.

Having switched to a strict carb controlled Mediterranean / paleo diet. I was a) Ecstatic at the staggering weight loss, about a 20% of my body weight vanished in a year b) Getting significant relief from the majority of symptoms, but still plagued by less frequent and intense headaches.

So I started blood glucose testing 4 weeks ago and what an eye opener that was.

So here I am today, 4 weeks later, 2nd week no headaches, migraines, or other problems. However I did have migraines while I was testing and have some data that indicates that my blood sugar levels seem to get stuck on high for -18-24 hours and after this happens, the problems typically begin.

This is not today's problem, I can resolve high blood sugar by fasting to avoid the headaches, it works, it'll do for now.

But today, three tests taken one hour after eating lunch and my reading dropped from before lunch.

Lunch is wholewheat low sugar (Wharburtons multiseed) home cooked chicken, 20 g mayo (original recipe) huge pile of salad and an apple. 26g Real Crisps (no added ****)

Before lunch 99 mg/dl
1st post test 83 mg/dl
2nd test (+ 5 mins) 78 mg/dl
3rd test 81 mg/dl

And I feel wiped out.

Any ideas ? Glucose normally goes up doesn't it?

Rods

D

Deleted Account

The usual guidelines are to take BG tests 2 hours after lunch - some food takes longer to digest than others so the carbs in your lunch may not have reached the stage to affect your BG.

Other ideas may be
- exercise. If you exercised before lunch, this may be bringing your BG down
- inaccurate pre-lunch test. You may have had a bit of carbs on your fingers when you tested. This could be anything from flour in your bread to newspaper print to something in your hand wash/soap.

As there are so many things which can impact BG, I try not to over react to one odd reading and looking for a pattern (e.g. whenever I exercise, my BG drops for the next 4 hours) over a few days.