1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Offended by official, mandatory training material...

Discussion in 'Diabetes Soapbox - Have Your Say' started by MarkE, Jan 7, 2017.

1. xyzzy

xyzzy Other · Well-Known Member

SNAP - Exactly what happened in my case 5 years ago. It makes me so angry that I religiously followed the 5-a-day type dietary recommendations and ate what was apparently a "healthy" diet then get blamed for being fat and lazy cos it gave me diabetes. The highest my BMI has ever been is slightly over 27 and I'm a very tall guy anyway who wears 34" waist jeans. My advice is use the anger against the disease rather than against other people who are only reciting what the media says.

Good luck

• Like Like x 1
  2. douglas99

douglas99 I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It's in the next table.

It also goes on to state

'The NICE guidelines regard a fasting plasma glucose result of 5.5 mmol/l as putting someone at higher risk of developing type 2 diabetes, particularly when accompanied by other risk factors for type 2 diabetes'

which doesn't agree with the tables normal limit of below 6.1, or the pre diabetic range of 6.1 to 6.9 mmol/l

3. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

Diabetes UK say this:-

“Prediabetes isn’t actually a clinical term which is recognised by the World Health Organization. In fact, the American Diabetes Association has set the level for prediabetes at a blood glucose measurement of HbA1C 5.7% (39mmol/mol) but it is the only organisation which uses this criteria. In the UK there is no defined criteria for prediabetes or borderline diabetes.

“So why do some clinicians still use it? Well we know that sometimes it can be useful when explaining your individual risk of developing Type 2 diabetes. It emphasises how serious it is to have high blood glucose levels. Between 5% and 10% of people with prediabetes go on to develop Type 2 diabetes each year.

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/About_us/News/Prediabetes-whats-it-all-about/
    As prediabetes isn't a defined clinical term, different people/organisations will have different cut-offs. I agree that the diabetes.co.uk page you referenced, http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html , is confusing because it quotes the NICE value without putting it in context.

• Informative Informative x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook