Official TAG link?

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
I have been wondering lately how, when on insulin, you detect protein and exercise. I wonder because my experience (without taking insulin) is that high protein increases my BG levels by around 0.5mmol/l and exercise will reduce my BG levels by 0.5 mmol/l, this give or take 0.25mmol/l depending on quantity of protein or amount of exercise (to get a 0.5mmol/l reduction for me is around 20min run or 1hr on exercise cycle). Where I am coming from is that I understand 0.5mmol/l = around 1/4 unit insulin..... In the scheme of things, 1/4 unit insulin is so small as to be almost insignificant, isn't it?.....Thus my question!.

It's significant for me, simply because of the knock on effect each day..... I can take an increase of 0.5mmol/l from a base of 4.6mmol/l, but I can not take an increase of 0.5mmol/l two or 3 days consecutively....I would then be 6.1 (well above my normalized target)...... My carb intake is constant (30g / day) my protein varies (maybe 1/2 chicken one day, salmon the next).

My target is to keep my 2+hr dinner reading below 4.6..... If it is over 5.0 I exercise..... My pre breakfast reading is nearly always around 0.5mmol/l higher than my 2+hr dinner reading.... Unless I exercise after dinner.

If you are on insulin and find you are 0.5mmol/l higher than your 'target', how do you know whether it is because you have taken 1/4 unit insulin to little, or because you have eaten too much protein, or maybe not exercised as much as the day before?.

Or is this (almost insignificant) '1/4 unit insulin' variance the reason why many T1's say exercise and protein make no difference.....just a thought.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you are on insulin and find you are 0.5mmol/l higher than your 'target', how do you know whether it is because you have taken 1/4 unit insulin to little, or because you have eaten too much protein, or maybe not exercised as much as the day before?.
We call this "The $64,000 Question" :)

Reactions: 3 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been wondering lately how, when on insulin, you detect protein and exercise. I wonder because my experience (without taking insulin) is that high protein increases my BG levels by around 0.5mmol/l and exercise will reduce my BG levels by 0.5 mmol/l, this give or take 0.25mmol/l depending on quantity of protein or amount of exercise (to get a 0.5mmol/l reduction for me is around 20min run or 1hr on exercise cycle). Where I am coming from is that I understand 0.5mmol/l = around 1/4 unit insulin..... In the scheme of things, 1/4 unit insulin is so small as to be almost insignificant, isn't it?.....Thus my question!.

It's significant for me, simply because of the knock on effect each day..... I can take an increase of 0.5mmol/l from a base of 4.6mmol/l, but I can not take an increase of 0.5mmol/l two or 3 days consecutively....I would then be 6.1 (well above my normalized target)...... My carb intake is constant (30g / day) my protein varies (maybe 1/2 chicken one day, salmon the next).

My target is to keep my 2+hr dinner reading below 4.6..... If it is over 5.0 I exercise..... My pre breakfast reading is nearly always around 0.5mmol/l higher than my 2+hr dinner reading.... Unless I exercise after dinner.

Or is this (almost insignificant) '1/4 unit insulin' variance the reason why many T1's say exercise and protein make no difference.....just a thought.
I am usually happy to be in the 4s or 5s after any bolus has tailed off.

With a non-working pancreas I have to accept a little less precision or risk a hypo ;)

Reactions: 3 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
edit, it may be my computer because I can get the wayback machine to load unsaved pages, yet when I go to the site not through the wayback machine, it's non functional?
does anyone get this page to load properly?
www.tudiabetes.org/group/tagers

if you use the wayback machines, you can access the old Taggers site, which now doesn't work properly and everyone has moved on
http://web.archive.org/web/20130115050404/http://www.tudiabetes.org/forum

tag group
http://web.archive.org/web/20130920003312/http://www.tudiabetes.org/group/tagers

Last edited by a moderator:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Jack, I have no problems the link just works as normal..
But a big reminder that it is time for the Big Blue Test. I will start another thread!

Reactions: 2 people