Officially off the meds

callieuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So glad to be able to announce - I'm off the meds (imagine me dancing!)

Started the year in poor health, A1c of 60, down to 41 in July and at 42 this week. Weight is slowly creeping on after initial loss so PN has taken me off the gliclazide, albeit to be retested in 6 weeks as a safety measure.

I've been a bad girl and eaten quite poorly lately so it's a concerted effort to get back to low carbing.

I am so pleased - if I can lose weight and keep it under control I'm homefree :)

Thanks to everyone who posts, this forum was a massive influence and assistance and whilst I'm not a big poster, I do read a lot and would never be where I am now without the support and advice here :)

Callie

Reactions: Robbity

steveis36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well done, bravo
I have stopped Gliclazide because of the cramps etc it gave me for 8 months
Im trying Dr mike mosley blood sugar 800cal diet.

callieuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done, bravo
I have stopped Gliclazide because of the cramps etc it gave me for 8 months
Im trying Dr mike mosley blood sugar 800cal diet.

Metformin did that to me :wideyed: both the normal and SR, although I did lose weight. The gliclazide has had less side effects but weight loss has been a nightmare (in fact I've gained 6 lbs of the initial 16lbs lost).

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I am so pleased - if I can lose weight and keep it under control I'm homefree :)

So please to read that your HbA1c is now down to 41. However, it's going to take more than losing weight to become "homefree". You will have keep doing what you've been doing to achieve that excellent HbA1c (technically that of a non diabetic). and that will be watching the carbs.

The gliclazide has had less side effects but weight loss has been a nightmare (in fact I've gained 6 lbs of the initial 16lbs lost).

It had the same effect for me and I had previously been losing several kilograms a month. I've just Googled "Gliclazide side effects" and they don't say much about "weight gain". However, Gliclazide helps the pancreas produce more insulin. Insulin is known as the fat storing hormone and most people, not all, will gain weight.

Reactions: Krystyna23040

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;

Started the year in poor health, A1c of 60, down to 41 in July and at 42 this week. Weight is slowly creeping on after initial loss so PN has taken me off the gliclazide, albeit to be retested in 6 weeks as a safety measure.

I've been a bad girl and eaten quite poorly lately so it's a concerted effort to get back to low carbing.

Thanks to everyone who posts, this forum was a massive influence and assistance and whilst I'm not a big poster, I do read a lot and would never be where I am now without the support and advice here :)

Callie

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;

Callie

Lucky You! I thought it was impossible to do this. Concerning calories and carbs, I find that amount is maybe as good as type of food. I may be wrong about that.
Cheers!