OGTT + Insulin test : how do I read these results?

Z_e_u_s

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So..I have had these tests done privately while abroad (as my GP said I don’t need them) but not sure how to read the results as have found conflicting info online.

If someone has experience with these kind of tests and can help me understand them I’d appreciate.

First of all : the reason why I wanted them is because I have noticed a change in my carb tolerance since diagnosis and was curious to have an idea of what’s going on inside my body BG wise.

OGTT: 0’ 90 mg/dL (mg/dL 74 – 109)
60’ 196 mg/dL
120’ 171 mg/dL (mg/dL < 140)

INSULIN: 0’ 5,46 (μUI/mL 2,00 - 25,00)
60' 36,19
120' 57,22

Peptide C: 1,80 (ng/mL 1.000-3.000)

In brackets what normal range should be; not sure if UK uses same units hence I put them there for reference.

Anybody has an idea?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For your OGTT

You started at 5 mmol/l or 90 mg/dl
At one hour you were 10.9 mmol/l or 196 mg/dl
and at 2 hours you were 9.5 mmol/l or 171 mg/dl

Looks like you may have a problem as you are meant to be at the start level after 2 hours.

In the UK its almost impossible to get insulin measured but looks like you are producing a lot which implies insulin resistance especially as your blood sugars at 2 hours are still high even with loads of insulin.

C -pep shows you are not insulin deficient so not T1 (or one of the other insulin deficient varieties).

Thats from my reading on the subject, personal experience and 6 years here but I'm not a health care pro...

Edit to add did you get an HbA1c at the same time?

Reactions: Fenn

Z_e_u_s

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Edit to add did you get an HbA1c at the same time?

Thanks for your reply. I wasn't sure what to make of these results as it says that normal value after 2 hours should be <140 (7.7%) whilst on other places on line it says that >200 is the mark for a diabetes diagnosis so I was a bit confused.

I did have HbA1 tested at same time : 32 mmol/mol (5.1) which surprised me since last one taken in May was 34 and since then I started to increase size portions + I spent 5 weeks abroad (end of July - Aug) where I ate soo much food including things I would never have due to (usually) high BG increase .. i.e. pizza, ice cream , chocolate, fruit etc. which did NOT cause me anything! to the point I even doubted I was diabetic. I did those tests on week 5 of my stay so I was expecting an increase in the HbA1c , instead it went down despite the food increase consumption.

Go figure!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The 200+ marker is for a fasting insulin level so far as I can see, so pre the OGTT.

You should be less than 140 mg/dl at the 2 hour mark post the test.

If you are over 200 mg/dl pre test then I hope any half decent medical professional wouldn't give you the OGTT at all.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your 2 hour would put you firmly in the pre-diabetic zone, 140-199mg/dl.
You're producing plenty of insulin so your beta cells seem fine.
As @bulkbiker has said above your remaining problem is some insulin resistance.

Z_e_u_s

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are over 200 mg/dl pre test then I hope any half decent medical professional wouldn't give you the OGTT at all.

'Decent medical professional' and diabetes I found out can't go in the same sentence. All I know about the condition I have learnt on this site or reading books on the subject.

The advise I received from 'medical professionals' so far it's laughable at best :(

Reactions: CapeBreton