Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Peanuts are good if eaten in moderation, as your linked article says:

Screenshot 2019-05-03 at 07.07.31.png

Screenshot 2019-05-03 at 07.09.37.png

Reactions: Guzzler

andromache

Three years ago when I got the prediabetic diagnosis, I started a low carb diet. The weight fell off me, so much so people asked my wife if I was ok. 17kgs, it was easy. Going to the gym regularly I noticed I lost muscle as well as fat. I arrested this loss by eating peanuts which I became a little too fond of. Over the last three years the Kgs have crept up. I fear the only explanation is an increase in red wine and salty low carb snacks may be to blame. Today I bought another size up trousers. I want to lose it again. HBA1c has also crept up.
As others have said, you've done it before and can do it again. I wonder whether it's worth paying more attention to protein intake this time around - muscle loss is something that few of us can afford, and I wondered whether you had been neglecting your body's protein needs a little bit, last time around. A few tweaks, and maybe this time you can get yourself stronger and fitter as well as lighter.

Reactions: Prem51

Sunstreaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As others have said, you've done it before and can do it again. I wonder whether it's worth paying more attention to protein intake this time around - muscle loss is something that few of us can afford, and I wondered whether you had been neglecting your body's protein needs a little bit, last time around. A few tweaks, and maybe this time you can get yourself stronger and fitter as well as lighter.

I eat, and did eat, a lot of fish and cheese.i was worried I was eating too much protein and it was being converted into carbs as has been explained to me is theoretically possible I believe. I have begun to reduce intake in preparation for my reboot.

Reactions: andromache

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat, and did eat, a lot of fish and cheese.i was worried I was eating too much protein and it was being converted into carbs as has been explained to me is theoretically possible I believe. I have begun to reduce intake in preparation for my reboot.

Protein is only converted to glucose as a last resort. The body tends to pick glucose, then fats, and only if necessary, protein. Even then, not everyone experiences this. I am one that doesn't. Protein is essential for repair and healing, strength and well being. Particularly as we get older. I believe it is folly to restrict it below what you have always eaten.

andromache

Protein is only converted to glucose as a last resort. The body tends to pick glucose, then fats, and only if necessary, protein. Even then, not everyone experiences this. I am one that doesn't. Protein is essential for repair and healing, strength and well being. Particularly as we get older. I believe it is folly to restrict it below what you have always eaten.
Completely agree. Maintaining good muscle mass and function is essential for healthy ageing, and muscle loss is strongly associated with it opposite.

Reactions: Prem51

Gail1947

Yep, same as @bulkbiker The last week or so it’s just been meat and an occasional egg. Today I’ve had two scrambled eggs thinking I may want to eat later but I’m stuffed.

I do have weight to lose, I’ve never managed to get rid of everything that shouldn’t be there but my metabolism is pants. I do hold BS numbers in the 3’s and 4’s though and that’s far more important.

Are you thinking of giving it a bash?

I was told that your metabolism follows the calories? If you cut calories your metabolism reduces to keep just under the intake. How can you increase your metabolism? Eat more calories?
Doesn’t the locarb diet not count calories so shouldn’t your metabolism rise???