Oh no, me again..more worries

SandrafromOZ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
DIABETES, All forms of cancer, Jealousy, arrogance
Hello everyone,

A bit stressed as I read some info today with regard to diabetic eye disease and I worry that because of my age (43) how the hell I will be able to keep eye problems at bay for the rest of my life??? You know, I think that it is the one thing that worries me the most...I am doing some readings and they still high, only been a week though but dam i am trying so, so hard I have cut my food quantities in half and eating much better. Excerise and lost a kilo since being diagnosed last week (a week today).

Would love to hear some responses to this question, I have to try and calm down.

Thanks

Sandra

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It took me 25 years of poor control (and heavy smoking) before I developed retinopathy. If you look after your levels it will probably never happen. I'm sure a few blips won't make too much difference.

SandrafromOZ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Thank you Robert, I am just feeling down and sorry for myself at the moment. I appreciate your reply.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Robert.
You were lucky!
retinopathy can develop quickly. Read up about Sue Townsend, the author of "Adrian Mole". She developed etinopathy and was registereed blind fairly faest after dianosis. I already had a degree of retinopathy by the time i was diagnosed, although I had no diabetes symptoms. I hae reduced my etinopathy by keeping my HbaA1c in the 5s for years.
Hana

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sandra - we all have days like that. It's good to be able to let off steam here.

Hi Hana - thanks for the info. I had a google and see that she's also a smoker, so I'm sure that contributed too. Luckily I managed to give up 5 years ago :)

Grazer

Sandra, the key is good BG control get that right, and you'll probably never have probleMs with retinopathy. I saw a table (I'll try to dig it out) that suggests that if your 2 hour after eating readings are kept below about 7.5 (I think!) and HbA1c below about 6.5, then the chances of retinopathy almost vanish. I'll try to find the correct figures - but just concentrate on the diet, it takes time, and you'll be fine.

SandrafromOZ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Thank you Grazer, I am just a bit of a worrier, battling with getting readings down even though I am doing the right things!

emmatree

If it helps, I recently drove my DSN, GP and optition a bit mad worrying about this. I had a thorough check up and reassurance from all the health professionals and have come away feeling much much less worried. From the beginning, I felt like they ALL thought I was a bit daft to be so worried and in a funny way that in itself was re-assuring. Although I think its perfectly natural to worry. And realistic, in our circumstances. It's a good thing to be aware of the potential consequences,helps to keep us on the straight and narrow! I have also found what Grazer said about levels very interesting.

Take care, keep at it!

emma