Oily Urine, is that normal?

TIN-TIN-72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi All, new member here and this is my first post.

I have been T2 for 3 years now, and I will be honest, I havent really started managing it properly (skipping meds, or not taking them at the right time etc etc).

I really struggle getting down to a 5 on my meter even if I only eat once a day. I dont drink sugary drinks, I do exercise and i dont eat sweets very often.

Meds wise I am on 6 Metformin and 2 Glyclizide a day, I am overweight but i have steadily lost weight over the past year or so.

Morning levels are regularly in the 15 and dont come back down to 5 until late afternoon, hence only eating once a day.

I seem to be getting A LOT of some kind of oily substance in my urine. I assume its oily as its rainbow coloured and I dont know if this a good thing like fat leaving the body or liver, or, if its something i should worry about. This has been happening for over 2 years now.

I also have problems with hydration. no matter how much water or green tea I drink my urine is always a very dark yellow, and in the mornings almost a yellow brown, like something else is coming out with the urine and mixing with it to change its colour (only the mornings though).

Can anyone offer me some advice?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have regular Diabetic tests with your doc?
Sounds like it is time to ask for one, if you don't have one scheduled.

They can check for stuff like protein in the urine, etc, which gives an idea of kidney health.

I think I would make an appt asap - but then I am always the kind of person that wants to KNOW, rather than worry because I don't want to know... if that makes sense? :)

Please let us know how you get on?

Reactions: 2 people

TIN-TIN-72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have an appt tomorrow for something else but I will see if I can slip it in at the same time.

Anyone else had this problem?

S

Shar67

Ketones causes oily urine, as your urine is dark it may be a sign of non alcoholic fatty liver disease (diabetes can contribute to this),
You need to keep hydrated, tea is a duiretic so you will be losing fluid through that, I need to drink at least 3 litres of water, we are all different, if your pee is straw yellow then it's about right, drink more to get it to that colour.
Ketones is a sign of uncontrolled diabetes, skipping meals etc.

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
You need to keep hydrated, tea is a duiretic so you will be losing fluid through that, I need to drink at least 3 litres of water, we are all different, if your pee is straw yellow then it's about right, drink more to get it to that colour.

Tea is only very slightly a diuretic, but nowhere approaching the hydrating effect of the water in the tea, same with coffee, you'll end up more hydrated not less however strong it is. Drink tea, water's not special or as nice.

3 litres of water per day is quite excessive by the way, drinking that much is a short space of time can lead to low sodium levels in your blood, which is potentially fatal. There have been several deaths from this. The body has a really fantastic and brilliant way of making sure you're sufficiently hydrated - it's called 'Feeling Thirsty'.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ketones causes oily urine, as your urine is dark it may be a sign of non alcoholic fatty liver disease (diabetes can contribute to this),
Ketones is a sign of uncontrolled diabetes, skipping meals etc.

My diabetes is well controlled and I hope I have ketones all the time as I follow a low carb ketogenic diet. I also skip meals all the time which helps with my BG control so not sure what point you are trying to make but it is a bit misleading.
Regards
Mark

FolkyRose1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
people looking down at me as if wondering why l am in a wheel chair (I am in a high risk of falling
Tea is only very slightly a diuretic, but nowhere approaching the hydrating effect of the water in the tea, same with coffee, you'll end up more hydrated not less however strong it is. Drink tea, water's not special or as
Tea is only very slightly a diuretic, but nowhere approaching the hydrating effect of the water in the tea, same with coffee, you'll end up more hydrated not less however strong it is. Drink tea, water's not special or as nice.

3 litres of water per day is quite excessive by the way, drinking that much is a short space of time can lead to low sodium levels in your blood, which is potentially fatal. There have been several deaths from this. The body has a really fantastic and brilliant way of making sure you're sufficiently hydrated - it's called 'Feeling Thirsty'.
P
L am a newbie to forum but not diabetes . I was diagnosed with an atonic bladder and have a catheter fitted. I was told to drink 3 littes of water a day

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I aim for at least 3 litres a day. More in hot weather.
Definitely feel better when I hit my target.
It is, of course, spread throughout the day - though I try not to drink too late in the evening, or I am up twice in the night. lol.

FolkyRose1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
people looking down at me as if wondering why l am in a wheel chair (I am in a high risk of falling
Yes, I aim for at least 3 litres a day. More in hot weather.
Definitely feel better when I hit my target.
It is, of course, spread throughout the day - though I try not to drink too late in the evening, or I am up twice in the night. lol.
I am lucky l guess as l just collect mine in a leg bag

Reactions: 2 people
S

Shar67

I said we are all different , there is a whole thread on pee, colour and hydration.
Dark urine is also a sign of liver problems, ketones in dark pee is not a good sign, liver is struggling.
The OP has already stated he hasn't kept good control, point made was poor control can lead to liver/hepatic billary problems that can show up as ketones in dark pee, if you keep hydrated and pee is still dark get checked by GP
It's all very well saying I have ketones and have good control but OP doesn't.

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The colour of your urine does not sound very good to me. If I were you I would go and see your GP and ask for a urine, kidney, and liver test. Please do it ASAP and not waste a minute. It could be nothing serious but just to be on the safe side. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum