Ok My Turn Please Can I Have A Rant

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Oh goodness no it wasn’t a child’s life support it was an adults my brother and whilst not old .not a child what I meant was I found diabetes very hard during this time but it must be so much harder dealing with a child having diabetes on a daily basis so sorry if I caused any confusion

Oh that's okay tizzy, probably my mistake, but still hard to turn off life support.

Reactions: tizzy

tizzy

No worries yes it was hard but we decided if it was any of us that’s what we would want and had no doubt it was what he would have chosen

moanymoan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Tizzy, know just how you feel in regards to inopportune moments when the big D kicks in, it is so inconsiderate a disease 'it' is the selfish one, certainly not yourself.

tizzy

Thank you @moanymoan sometimes it isn’t even the diabetes is it.Stress can feel the same shaking and feeling ill can’t it .I had a day at work recently a very stressful day and whenever I took my bg it was fine but being a career in people’s homes I had to wait till I got back in my car all the while convinced I was hypoing

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @tizzy, So sorry to hear about your brother. And yes it can be embarrassing dealing with a hypo in that situation as it is in many others. But also perhaps think that your brother would probably have seen you do this in the past, as would have other family members. You were looking after your needs, to be able to better attend to what was happening. Not your fault but sort of in character with how things can be for us diabetics.
We all like to have standards for behaviour etc but have to sometimes break them to deal with our diabetes. I used to get sprung in school for eating in class. I have eaten at a dying family member's bedside too - I would rather not have but that person just smiled and gave me a thumbs up ! When I was a doctor working in a hospital, I would have sips of orange juice whilst assisting at an operation. I did what was necessary despite the risk of embarrassment, censure etc.
And you are grieving. Things are likely to be topsy-turvy for a while. During such times I know I had to take extra care with my diabetes (as if the source of grieving was not enough to deal with) !
You may find seeing a bereavement counsellor helps too.
Resilience is a buzz word for the notion of dealing with and surviving adversity. Sometimes our supply of it can become pretty drained. I believe that each of us has past experiences from which to draw from as a form of resilience. It may be a personal experience, or from a story we have read, a movie seen etc etc. The more of these we have the greater the 'bank' we can draw from so that if one does not work all that well in a given situation, another might. Some thing humorous, serious whatever works.
And let us not forget humour or self-humour as a way through the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.
Oh, another 6 jelly bean hypo !! Javelin throw time (injection time ) again ! I heard of a situation where the spouse and child would bet on what the pre-dinner BSL of the person would be, and the loser did the washing up !
Please be kind to yourself ! 1000 hugs !!!

tizzy

Thank you so much@kitedoc and all the replies it really does help and sorry for your loss life can be so very hard but we all owe it to ourselves and loved ones to make the most of our time here I suppose

Carolann13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who eat crisps in the cinema, anyone who dislikes animals.
im so frustrated life can be so hard at times and all the time there’s the diabetes’s it always seems like whatever’s going on I still have to check blood eat not eat even when while agreeing to turning off a family members life support others in pain or struggling with there own problems there’s me eating biscuits or something or worried I’ll hypo and make a bad situation worse or is it just me sorry had to get it off my chest

Understand totally, I also feel like that, I've been DT1 for almost 40 years, feel exactly the same, your not along