OK, so how much weight did you put on over Christmas?

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh gawd, looking at all the successful Christmas weigh ins is making me feel guilty as hell!:arghh: I can't believe that I let things slip so much:(
Like @AloeSvea , I don't think that guilt is a useful emotion in the context of food and eating. I suffered with addictive overeating and guilt/punishing myself cycles for decades, and I found my health much improved when I started being kind to myself. (That's kind to my body, not to my sense of greed and entitlement! ;))

Reactions: 8 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Well a week after new year, I'm already halfway back to where I was before Christmas... Get in there!

S

Sean01

Not sure if this counts as a sucess - I lost 2 kilos - mainly through being unwell and missing most of Christmas Day and a large part of Boxing day. I started with good intentions; Breakfast was bacon, tomatoes, crumpets and a proper portion of haggis, but by 11 a.m. the chest infection had properly taken hold - lights on but no one at home - back in the land of the living again.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
@AloeSvea and @Larissima, thanks. I do appreciate your kind words, and I know guilt is a useless emotion. As an overeater/binger most of my life, any increase makes me feel awful, like I've lost control ( I have lost 6 stone over past 3 years). I'm doing my best not to let it panic me and I'm doing ok with that - but I can't seem to shift this at all. Exercise is problematic too just now, having a lot of pain and stiffness in hips, making walking difficult. Not giving in though, will keep trying.

@Sean01, sorry you have been ill, hope you're on the mend now.

Reactions: 6 people

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had gained some weight before Christmas, and then kept it constant over the holidays. I believe my mistake was to swap my slow-cooked cacao courgette porridge and coconut milk with full fat yoghurt and nuts. I had lodged for a while and yoghurt was easier to organise. My BG was okay after that, but higher (mid 6s instead of high 5s), and I might have produced too much insulin. Hence, I made a large batch of coconut yoghurt and go from here. I also got my bike again, which really targets my tummy, so I am positive.

Reactions: 4 people

kidneyalan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
ladybird - I'm concerned about the guilt! Guilt is such a self-punishing emotion - where does it get one?

I know that I can gain weight by just looking at carbs - this is true for many folk as they get older isn't it? To do with metabolism slowing down a bit? Especially we type two diabetics.

Can it be more helpful to see one's weight as on a spectrum and one goes along it at various times? And food festivals is one of those times when it will in all likelihood go to the weightier side? And then note that it will go over to the other less weightier side by cutting carbs, upping the exercise (if you have that kind of metabolism where exercise affects you that way - not all do by any means). No guilt! No self punishing!

But yes, for us with our well-being at stake - a call to action! And build such action (and the periods of feasting at festivals) into the general picture of one's life?
As I said in my previous post, everybody is different and deals with weight differently. In my case, being a kidney patient and t2 diabetic, it is more easy for me to lose the excess as most of it is fluid. But I still find that sticking to a healthy diet works for me and as long as I don't over indulge, I manage to stay reasonably trim. Still measuring my bm's on a regular basis (just in case the unexpected happens), ok so far. Average is 6.5mmols through the day with so far no insulin top up needed since Xmas. Seems I'm doing something right, or else things could be very different.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad to say 0. I seem to have lost my appetite for anything that isnt LC. Bit strange really, I wasnt even tempted by the pavlova.

Reactions: 2 people
S

Sean01

@AloeSvea and @Larissima, thanks. I do appreciate your kind words, and I know guilt is a useless emotion. As an overeater/binger most of my life, any increase makes me feel awful, like I've lost control ( I have lost 6 stone over past 3 years). I'm doing my best not to let it panic me and I'm doing ok with that - but I can't seem to shift this at all. Exercise is problematic too just now, having a lot of pain and stiffness in hips, making walking difficult. Not giving in though, will keep trying.

@Sean01, sorry you have been ill, hope you're on the mend now.
In 2007 I had a hoovering accident. I fell over my rowing machine whilst hoovering my gym and tore the tendons in my right foot. Being a stubborn ******, I iced the foot and was back walking omn it the next day - not a good idea. by the end of the next day I was on crutches. It took over three years to mend. The pain shifted up my foot, through my knee, across both hips and finally all the way down the left foot. The final pain was in the two little toes on the left foot. 3 years for hoovering! You get less for arson!
But when I finally decided to put the crutches down in 2010, I started on a treadmill - less than 100 meters. but I increased the distance every single day - never missed a day. In 2011 I got as far as 17 miles on the Loch Ness Marathon (too much pain in my hips (all walking) but in 2012, I completed it in 7 hours 24 mins. . Don't give up, even a few steps extra each day is a WIN. Keep a diary. The only goal you need to set is to do better today than you did yesterday. You can get there.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks for the encouraging words Sean, but sorry.,your hoovering accident gave me the giggles! Only because I once broke a bone in my foot when I slipped on an orange. Yes really. Don't ask!

Finding things really tough atm. Motivation isn't great (serious health issue in someone close), pain is a, erm..pain. The hip prob is radiotherapy damage and it gets to me sometimes. I walked the other day and each step was hurting - I'm lucky that I live near the beach so that is some incentive at least. Too much going on to keep a diary but all I can do is to try eh?

Cheers Sean :)

Scarlet10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I Managed to put on 7lb from mid November till end of December. Back on the wagon now though.

lely

I too have gain 1/2 stone despite having about 2 days vomiting and 3days with ketones. 4 weeks away from the gym while I adjusted to my new pump. On treadmill as I type though taking it easy with a little inclined walk. I've got 8 weeks till I'm 40, I will feel fabulous for it.

S

Sean01

Thanks for the encouraging words Sean, but sorry.,your hoovering accident gave me the giggles! Only because I once broke a bone in my foot when I slipped on an orange. Yes really. Don't ask!

Finding things really tough atm. Motivation isn't great (serious health issue in someone close), pain is a, erm..pain. The hip prob is radiotherapy damage and it gets to me sometimes. I walked the other day and each step was hurting - I'm lucky that I live near the beach so that is some incentive at least. Too much going on to keep a diary but all I can do is to try eh?

Cheers Sean :)
Be careful with the beech - loose underfoot etc. here's something you might try - I found it by accident. In 2007 we went to the Highlands on holiday - nowhere is flat! Just before leaving the house I rushed in and grabbed my crutches and walking stick - just in case I needed them. At the time I though my 'little sprain' was mended. First night - ghost walk through the cemetry at the side of Stirling castle with Mad Jock and his barking mad wife - what a job!! Walking up hill fine - walking back - disaster!. next morning I got out of bed and could not put any weight on my legs at all. The furthest I got was to sit upright on the edge of the bad. I could not even stand. The wife went to the car to get the stick 0 useless. She went off for the crutches (yes I know, I would have brought them both too). I could stand with crutches. I quickly figured out what was best for me - opposite crutch and foot moving at the same time. I know it sounds daft and it definitely looked it but I can comfortably do 4 miles an hour with crutches - that's a brisk walking pace, down hill and up hill. I leave most people standing. It was just enough to shift the weight off my joints. The daft thing is, that without the crutches, I could not take a single step - but with them _ I was fast. (To an outsider I looked like I was taking the the p***. That was my life for the first year plus, until I gradually moved to a single crutch, then a stick.

My advice - tray walking poles - it makes you look professional and stop messing about with oranges. They're dangerous in more ways than you can imagine.

Klangley

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I lost the 2kg I had put on over Christmas plus a little bit more, so now I am well and truly back on track.

I guess you have to expect that your weight will fluctuate during these sorts of occasions. For sure I have no intention of being the kill-joy in the corner whilst everyone else is having a great time. I just have to pick and choose the occasions and accept that they now must be less frequent.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was so happy to see this topic.

I gained at least 6 pounds over the months leading up to Christmas and New Year's.

One night I even had a hamburger WITH a gluten-free bun AND sweet potato fries cooked in a gluten-free designated fryer. Bad, so bad, I know.

I also ate at least six chocolates on Christmas Eve, ate this banana/cocoa/yogurt dip with cucumber chips that was so good, followed by eating chocolate almond clusters daily between Christmas and New Years. It all added up.

This was my first Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years on the LCHF diet. I'll be better prepared to deal with the triggers next year - (particularly with those well meaning people bearing gifts of gluten-free chocolates). The worst challenge was a gift our office received of chocolate, white chocolate, and crushed peppermint candies. I ate 2 to 3 pieces of that a day, only the two days a week I worked there, but still, I felt like an drug addict. Sugar!

Finally persuaded one of the staff to take it home. :)

Not worried. Over the last seven years I've lost 40 pounds and hope to lose 20 to 30 more. I'm fully on the LCHF diet again, and have resumed walking. I trust that by eating properly again I will slowly return to where I was before all this all happened.

I consider LCHF a lifestyle.

This topic helped me to not feel bad. It was helpful to see that at least a few people here gained weight too. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Winnie, in comparison to what I ate, yours is little league, honestly!
I'm still struggling. Got things going on in the real world that are taking me apart - trying not to lose hope though. We can only do our best x

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ladybird64, battling difficult circumstances and coming off of any amount of sugar is really, really challenging. It's when we most need time and space, and daily, ongoing support from those who care about our well being, and equally important, to create distance and separation from those who disrupt our lives and deplete our reserves.

Gaining 6 pounds is not little league. I am, however, at an advantage because I'm surrounded by people who are caring, thoughtful, and considerate, well most of the time. It makes all the difference. The one thing I've had to learn the hard way, over, and over again, is that I can't change people, only my own thoughts and actions. I can reframe what's happening around me, and make small, sometimes big, changes to my circumstances, though it's a slow, slow process. I got through some challenging health issues this past year, finally...

It sounds like you're going through something big, perhaps faced with a lot of "unknowns" and are making the best decisions you can each day. It's not easy riding out storms. Please know my thoughts are with you as you struggle to regain the helm of your life.

Lots of caring, supportive people here. I hope you've made a meaningful connection with at least one person here. If not, keep trying...

Last edited by a moderator:

Kentucky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I lost 9LB, I'm so pleased in the past I would have put that much on. I still had a full christmas dinner and drank 3 bottles of proseco shared with hubby on 3 seperate days but avoided all the chocolates and cakes etc. Still had to get on and off the scales 5 times to check because I didn't believe it, lol.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
ladybird64, battling difficult circumstances and coming off of any amount of sugar is really, really challenging. It's when we most need time and space, and daily, ongoing support from those who care about our well being, and equally important, to create distance and separation from those who disrupt our lives and deplete our reserves.

Gaining 6 pounds is not little league. I am, however, at an advantage because I'm surrounded by people who are caring, thoughtful, and considerate, well most of the time. It makes all the difference. The one thing I've had to learn the hard way, over, and over again, is that I can't change people, only my own thoughts and actions. I can reframe what's happening around me, and make small, sometimes big, changes to my circumstances, though it's a slow, slow process. I got through some challenging health issues this past year, finally...

It sounds like you're going through something big, perhaps faced with a lot of "unknowns" and are making the best decisions you can each day. It's not easy riding out storms. Please know my thoughts are with you as you struggle to regain the helm of your life.

Lots of caring, supportive people here. I hope you've made a meaningful connection with at least one person here. If not, keep trying...

Such a caring post Winnie, thank you for caring. I understand what you're talking about re those around me, that aside I have dealt with some serious trauma in the past year and a half too and I hoped it was over. Facing one of the biggest unknowns there is at present, and I'm powerless, can't say more.

Back to topic - I need to drop a stone (14lbs or so). Other thoughts should take priority but I will not let this get out of my grasp, I fought so hard to get the diabetes under control, and the weight too. I will do it, I won't fail. Thank you again xx