Type 2 Okay to eat again before taking a post-prandial reading?

Elamber

If I am measuring my glucose level 2 hours after a meal then am I permitted to eat or drink anything in that time?

For example would a milky coffee or a small biscuit significantly affect the reading?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
For example would a milky coffee or a small biscuit significantly affect the reading?
It would in effect be part of the meal, and yes, it would affect your reading.

Trevor vP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If I am measuring my glucose level 2 hours after a meal then am I permitted to eat or drink anything in that time?

The way to look at it Milk has circa 5 Gram Carb per 100 mL, small biscuit maybe 10 Grams, as a Type 1 diabetic I would need circa 1.5 Units of Insulin for that. So depending on how high your personal Insulin resistance is it will impact your reading to a different degree

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Rember it's 2 hours from first bite of the meal when the last bite is is mainly erelavent.

Reactions: EllieM

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Well whether it's 'permitted' or not depends on what information you are hoping to get out of it really. If you are trying to determine how the meal affected your levels 2 hours later, then having something else within that two hours will skew the results. I drink a milky coffee and have a small biscuit when I am a bit low in order to raise my levels fairly quickly (within half an hour or so), so yes, it is likely to affect your readings at the 2 hour mark.

Reactions: Fenn

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well the short answer is yes it will affect your reading- but more importantly as @KK123 asks- what information are you hoping to get out of your reading? A lot of my readings are just to keep an eye on my general levels so can be quite random. If I am testing a particular food/meal I am more careful about the time. I think you want to work out why you are testing- having a milky coffee after a meal you know won't raise your levels tells you about its affect. The problem is that so many things can affect your levels.

I am still a fan of testing but work out why and that will have an influence on when and how often you test.