Omega3 capsules

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I was just wondering if anyone taking omega3 capsules has a problem with everything tasting slightly fishy? It is especially bad if I burp. I hate fish lol.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take krill oil.

Had one jar of capsules that stank to high heaven. I think that one of the capsules had leaked. It was stomach turning. Returned them and got another jar.

But I don't get a fishy aftertaste normally - although I do always take them with food. No idea if that makes a difference, but I tend to take all my supplements with food (or drink a coffeewithcream after, to kind of weight them down. lol)

I used to take garlic capsules years ago. Now THAT was an experience! :D

Reactions: chalup

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have the exact same experience, @chalup. I haven't found a single fish oil capsule I can take without the same experience.

In the past I've taken krill oil without too much issue, but have heard varying reports about how effective it is.

I think my next attempt might be algae oil.

In the meantime, my genetic report tells me I don't have a problem converting what I need from diet so I'm not as concerned about it as I once was. I eat chia seeds every day and also periodically take flax seed oil and/or EPO.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I am in Canada and don't have that store but thank you :)

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Cod liver oil from the bottle (with a lemon taste) avoids this problem. No fishy burps.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Cod liver oil from the bottle (with a lemon taste) avoids this problem. No fishy burps.

Alternatively take the supplement before food, I generally take my CLO just before my evening meal.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks all I appreciate it. I was just like why does my broccoli taste like fish? lol. I think I will try taking it just before I eat. I was just taking them with my meds. Did I mention I hate fish? :***::rolleyes:

A

asparagusp

Funny - My earlier post had disappeared! Just an aside - Cod liver oil help prevent retinopathy in diabetics.

Tay1105

I live in Northern Ireland, my doctor prescribed Omacor 4 x 1000mg per day, omega 3, for my high cholesterol (I also have diabetes). I never had an after tastes. I've been told by a dietitian not to take cod liver oil as it could be detrimental to my high cholesterol. Omega 3 has had a positive affect.