1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Omnipod Dash & Hot Sunny Weather

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by Soplewis12, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Soplewis12

Soplewis12 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi, since starting my pump management just over 3 months ago today was my first day of enjoying sitting in my garden, enjoying the sun. (Live in West of Scotland!)
    When using lantus & novorapid via pen the sun didn't really have any extreme affect on my BG readings but today has been surreal. I have had to suspend my insulin 3 times today. No other factors to consider other than the weather as been relaxing.
    Can anyone else share their experiences of this?
    Still quite a newbie to pump and any suggestions would be appreciated as its to be even hotter tomorrow.
    I was thinking of using temp basal reduction of 20 to 30%.
    Look forward to hearing from all you lovely people.

2. Hopeful34

Hopeful34 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Heat in general means I need less insulin, day and night, so temporary basal rates on pumps are great for coping with this. We're all different, some people need more insulin when it's hot, so really the only way to see if that amount of reduction is right for you is to try it, and keep a close eye on your bloods. If you're relaxing, rather than doing something stressful, that's probably had an effect on your insulin requirements too.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook