Omnipod dash/libre 2

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Morning everyone, just posting this for a word of warning to ensure you have back up plans, lesson learnt for me!
Me & my hubby were lucky enough to spend last week in Tenerife, my first time abroad since using libre 2 & omnipod dash. Thought I was well organised with plenty of spare pods, etc. 2 days in to the holiday & my phone died on me leaving me unable to use libre 2. I had packed my finger prick glucometer but never thought to pack the libre 2 monitor. Panicked at first but with a 40% basal reduction from 8a.m. till 6p.m. it all went well.
Thought might be worth mentioning to others who use the phone app for libre2.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry, I am confused. Why did you need to reduce your basal when you changed your blood sugar monitoring from Livre to finger pricks?

I must confess my backup plans seem to take up as much space as my primary diabetes management kit with backup insulin pens, backup syringes, extra insulin, needles which are only used if the pump fails, backup PDM for the pumo, spare libre, libre meter, spare test strips, extra hypo treatment, ...

Reactions: Soplewis12

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Sorry, I am confused. Why did you need to reduce your basal when you changed your blood sugar monitoring from Livre to finger pricks?

I must confess my backup plans seem to take up as much space as my primary diabetes management kit with backup insulin pens, backup syringes, extra insulin, needles which are only used if the pump fails, backup PDM for the pumo, spare libre, libre meter, spare test strips, extra hypo treatment, ...
Hiya, sorry for confusion, the 40% reduction was for the sun/heat & not linked to the libre. As first time abroad I was unsure if the reduction would be accurate.

Reactions: In Response

Paulrb

Sounds like a well thought out backup plan, although, my question is, how are you getting on with the Dash, as I have it and find it very frustrating as it doesn’t have a food library like the old Omnipod pdm has.

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Sounds like a well thought out backup plan, although, my question is, how are you getting on with the Dash, as I have it and find it very frustrating as it doesn’t have a food library like the old Omnipod pdm has.
Hiya, I've only been using the pump since March so my first experience. Initially I despised it, so much to think about & adjust to but now I'm OK with it. Certainly aspects of it could be improved. I have a bad cold just now which has affected my BG readings but no where to record on the PDM. Would be helpful for a food diary to reduce constant calculations & recording in my wee black food book,