Omnipod dash

Nannynet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi everyone I now have Omniipod dash pod pump as I have posted on here many times I had lots problems with back ground insulin and levels, well only had it a week so far so a newbie to using pump I've had diabetes type 1for 18 years many problems for last 3 years after getting covid levels hard to sort since. I have been adjusting on pdm but can't seem to stop night hypos yet also high in day I had training face to face for 4 hrs x 1 and 2 group video calls another one tomorrow then it will be none for a month any advice from any other podders out there please? I know we're all different on needs, I love using it as no tubes and easy to set up each time I struggle a bit getting insulin out of vial but sure it will all come good as really don't want to go back to jabs again thanks for reading.

Last edited:

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Nannynet

Congratulations on moving onto the Omnipod Dash. I had lots of issues with nightime lows before going onto the Omnipod. It took some time to get my basal rate fine tuned. I am running at the lowest amount overnight.

For me I have my basal rate lower and my insulin to carb ratio higher in the evening and overnight than I do during the day. That seems to work best for me.

You are right about drawing insulin up from the vial taking a bit of practice. I found that not too bad as my background is nursing

Hope this is of some help. I you have any questions please just ask. The change to a pump does take some time to adapt to. Like you I would not want to go back to injections.

Reactions: Nannynet

Nannynet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi Nannynet

Congratulations on moving onto the Omnipod Dash. I had lots of issues with nightime lows before going onto the Omnipod. It took some time to get my basal rate fine tuned. I am running at the lowest amount overnight.

For me I have my basal rate lower and my insulin to carb ratio higher in the evening and overnight than I do during the day. That seems to work best for me.

You are right about drawing insulin up from the vial taking a bit of practice. I found that not too bad as my background is nursing

Hope this is of some help. I you have any questions please just ask. The change to a pump does take some time to adapt to. Like you I would not want to go back to injections.
Hi thanks for your quick answer I'm having lots of problems with lows at night just put my basal at night at 0.40 but the problems I'm having is highs few hours after evening meal i altered carb ratio 1 to 9 for morning and evening fallng through night and after breakfast really high but am on 0.65 in day and done pod change my 4th this morning and night mare highs Im hoping I can get this right but worse at moment than my injections! I got phone call tomorrow front diabetic nurse but im getting really nervous trouble is if you alter a few things you dont really know what problem is do you have highs after pod change? any support welcome thanks

Sent from my SM-A125F using Diabetes Forum mobile app

Reactions: DEL169

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Nannynet

I do get highs after a pod change. I discussed this with the Pump Team locally and was advised to give a bolus following a pod change. I try to change my pod just before a meal to time it with my meal time bolus.

You are right about not knowing what change has had an effect if you make more than one at a time.

You are still early days on the pump and things will need fine tuning.

ianstead

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have used the omnipod for about 3 years and initially I had problems with my levels. I didn‘t trust it to give me my basal rate. For the last 2 years I have been giving myself a basal rate of 15 units with my Tresiba injection every morning about 6.30am and having the omnipod giving me 4 units in the 24 hr period to keep it ticking over. I use the pod for bolus doses before meals and I find that the regime works well for me.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
i find my shoogs rise after a pod change so i always do 2 things .... 1 a small bolus on the old pod even if PDM is not advising it ..... and 2 ... i always set a temporary basal rate of either +25% or +30% for the first 2 hours on the new pod... i find this helps me

as for settling in on the new pump it took me about 8 weeks to get all of my settings right for me --- it can be very frustrating but it will be worth it once you get all your settings right for you.

Nannynet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi Nannynet

I do get highs after a pod change. I discussed this with the Pump Team locally and was advised to give a bolus following a pod change. I try to change my pod just before a meal to time it with my meal time bolus.

You are right about not knowing what change has had an effect if you make more than one at a time.

You are still early days on the pump and things will need fine tuning.
Hi again I'm finding levels go really high and they go high when I put pod on leg I've been in high double figures all day with loads of corrections jow it's dropping fast so will get hypo now

Nannynet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi again I'm finding levels go really high and they go high when I put pod on leg I've been in high double figures all day with loads of corrections jow it's dropping fast so will get hypo now I guess it seems unpredictable and I keep changing numbers so it's a bit of nightmare at moment seems worse than when I was on injections did you go through this? Thought it was going to be great at last control but I don't have any at moment does it work slower on leg?

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Morning Nannynet

I did go through many changes in basal rate and carb ratio. I found between 2.00 - 4.00am was a time when I frequently went low. To manage that I found I had reduce my carb ratio for supper. I currently use 1 - 11 between 17.00 - 20.00. I seem to need more insulin during the day 1-9 for breakfast and 1-5 for lunch

Personally I have not found the absorption rate is worse when I have the pod on my leg. The Pump Team advised that absorption is worse on the arms.

It will take time for things to settle. Are you able to get advice from your Pump Team ?

Hope things improve for you

Reactions: DEL169 and Nannynet

Nannynet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
Morning Nannynet

I did go through many changes in basal rate and carb ratio. I found between 2.00 - 4.00am was a time when I frequently went low. To manage that I found I had reduce my carb ratio for supper. I currently use 1 - 11 between 17.00 - 20.00. I seem to need more insulin during the day 1-9 for breakfast and 1-5 for lunch

Personally I have not found the absorption rate is worse when I have the pod on my leg. The Pump Team advised that absorption is worse on the arms.

It will take time for things to settle. Are you able to get advice from your Pump Team ?

Hope things improve for you
I have been at my wits end with this omnipod dash and getting very upset by it all I'm either high or low no matter what I do pump so called team told me to leave settings as they are till next Thursday I'm hypo in early hours and high all day correcting I'm afraid to eat this was supposed to help me but its worse than when I was on jabs surely this can't be right?? Can anyone help or advise I'm desperate now.

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Morning NannyNet.

I am sorry that you are having such a hard time with your Omnipod Dash. Did your team say why they want you to leave your settings as they are till Thursday ?

The only reason I can think of is to allow any changes you have made to bed in. I have been told a few times not to make more than one change at a time and then to wait a few days to see if the change helps.

It is very frustrating & worrying when you see your numbers going up and down despite any changes you make. Any changes you make during the day will affect what happens later on in the day. Hence the lows you are experiencing overnight.

I am currently experiencing similar issues. I have gone low the past 2 nights. I have been on steroids for some time and am slowly reducing the dose. As a consequence I need less insulin. Working out when to reduce my basal rate is challenging.

Hope things improve

Last edited:
Reactions: DEL169

Nannynet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
Morning NannyNet.

I am sorry that you are having such a hard time with your Omnipod Dash. Did your team say why they want you to leave your settings as they are till Thursday ?

The only reason I can think of is to allow any changes you have made to bed in. I have been told a few times not to make more than one change at a time and then to wait a few days to see if the change helps.

It is very frustrating & worrying when you see your numbers going up and down despite any changes you make. Any changes you make during the day will affect what happens later on in the day. Hence the lows you are experiencing overnight.

I am currently experiencing similar issues. I have gone low the past 2 nights. I have been on steroids for some time and am slowly reducing the dose. As a consequence I need less insulin. Working out when to reduce my basal rate is challenging.

Hope things improve
Hi thank you for answering me, sorry your having problems , let's hope we both settle down soon, problem I got is one day low next day high nothing consistent really depressing, but always hypo at night, I have lowered basal at night, but then go high when I get up, same as when on MDI. So don't know if this is going to work , was hoping pump would solve my problems was told it would, no luck yet, pump team ring Thursday then not again for 3 months, which seems strange.

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Afternoon Nannynet

Hope you had a better night.

If I remember correctly follow up after starting on the pump for me was one week, one month, 3 months. Now I have a pump clinic and diabetic clinic each once a year. I use the pump team in between as I need to.

The lows I have overnight have improved since going onto the pump. It did take a while. Now they seem to happen when my basal rate needs adjustment or when I have problem with faulty Libre sensor which for me is frequently. I really can relate to having a disturbed night sleep. I have just had 5 in a row. I have resorted to returning to finger pricking so I can get a nights sleep. It would be one thing if the Libre was alarming and I was actually low. Last night libre said 3.7 and my blood was 6.3

Hope you get some help from your phone all on Thursday. Let me know how you get on

Nannynet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
Afternoon Nannynet

Hope you had a better night.

If I remember correctly follow up after starting on the pump for me was one week, one month, 3 months. Now I have a pump clinic and diabetic clinic each once a year. I use the pump team in between as I need to.

The lows I have overnight have improved since going onto the pump. It did take a while. Now they seem to happen when my basal rate needs adjustment or when I have problem with faulty Libre sensor which for me is frequently. I really can relate to having a disturbed night sleep. I have just had 5 in a row. I have resorted to returning to finger pricking so I can get a nights sleep. It would be one thing if the Libre was alarming and I was actually low. Last night libre said 3.7 and my blood was 6.3

Hope you get some help from your phone all on Thursday. Let me know how you get on
Hi h884,
I got on ok with video call Thursday I have lowered my night and day insulin as started going low all the time, which is confusing as I was going high in day, so this is another big change, hopefully will get there n the end, hope you're doing better now. I'm hanging in there.

Nannynet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi h884,
I got on ok with video call Thursday I have lowered my night and day insulin as started going low all the time, which is confusing as I was going high in day, so this is another big change, hopefully will get there n the end, hope you're doing better now. I'm hanging in there.

Think I will have to go back to injections as new pod yesterday and now running very high? Different with every dam pod? No alarm to say problem don't know what to make of it in tears over all this has anyone else had this problem, don't think basal runs right.

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi NannyNet.

I was really hoping that lowering your basal rate would have helped.

Regarding every pod being different, as well as sometimes going higher after a pod change, when you consider how many things can affect your blood glucose levels it is probably no surprise that every pod is different. When you say you are running very high, what levels are you seeing ?

I can really empathise with your frustrations when no matter what you do it does no make any difference. I am that point with Libre 2

Thinking about you x

Nannynet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi NannyNet.

I was really hoping that lowering your basal rate would have helped.

Regarding every pod being different, as well as sometimes going higher after a pod change, when you consider how many things can affect your blood glucose levels it is probably no surprise that every pod is different. When you say you are running very high, what levels are you seeing ?

I can really empathise with your frustrations when no matter what you do it does no make any difference. I am that point with Libre 2

Thinking about you x
Hi I changed pod this afternoon as running in 20s, 14 over night, it was bleeding when I took it off, very sore, I put insulin in new pod, never bleeped, and wouldn't pair with pdm, I rang Omnipod and they were very good sending 2 new pods, told them I don't think I can get on with all this, as every pod different and don't know where I am. I gave 3 units novorapid by pen as well as corrections on pod, I have new pod on but now going high again settings changed yet again, very upsetting can't think this is normal. Sorry I go on.

Nannynet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi I changed pod this afternoon as running in 20s, 14 over night, it was bleeding when I took it off, very sore, I put insulin in new pod, never bleeped, and wouldn't pair with pdm, I rang Omnipod and they were very good sending 2 new pods, told them I don't think I can get on with all this, as every pod different and don't know where I am. I gave 3 units novorapid by pen as well as corrections on pod, I have new pod on but now going high again settings changed yet again, very upsetting can't think this is normal. Sorry I go on.

Oh I have libre 2 I don't find it accurate all the time, it lags anyway, would love omnipod 5 with dexcom g6 not here yet, it's new closed loop, told there might be funding for new pods soon but not sensors.

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Hi NannyNet

You are not going on. This is something whIch is causing you a lot of distress.

Good move to call Omnipod. I have had some pods which cause issues such as you describe. You probably need to call the Pump Team to discuss the way forward for you. Unfortunately they will probably not be around tomorrow with it being a public holiday.

Hope things begin to improve soon.

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh I have libre 2 I don't find it accurate all the time, it lags anyway, would love omnipod 5 with dexcom g6 not here yet, it's new closed loop, told there might be funding for new pods soon but not sensors.

Hi NannyNet

Thanks for that. I have found that the odd Libre 2 works well, but more have been completely off. I have taken to turning off the alarms overnight to get some sleep. I am hoping Dexcom 1 will be available on prescription soon. I have self funded Dexcom 1 and found much better than Libre 2. Like you I would be interested in Omnipod 5 and closed loop when it is available