Omnipod dash

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Hi thank you for answering me, sorry your having problems , let's hope we both settle down soon, problem I got is one day low next day high nothing consistent really depressing, but always hypo at night, I have lowered basal at night, but then go high when I get up, same as when on MDI. So don't know if this is going to work , was hoping pump would solve my problems was told it would, no luck yet, pump team ring Thursday then not again for 3 months, which seems strange.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Diabetes Forum mobile app
Hi Nannynet, I was exactly the same, followed all the guidelines, all the rules and could never find the correct basal rates, I was lucky to have 2 days of consistency. I don't know if you are female or what stage in your life you are but I'm 54 and started the pump at 52, I believe that I possibly hit full blown menopause at roughly same time as starting omnipod. Approached my DSN and got prescribed HRT, the progesterone has made a massive difference, drastically reducing the lows. Just an idea incase it may help you x

Reactions: Nannynet

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone I now have Omniipod dash pod pump as I have posted on here many times I had lots problems with back ground insulin and levels, well only had it a week so far so a newbie to using pump I've had diabetes type 1for 18 years many problems for last 3 years after getting covid levels hard to sort since. I have been adjusting on pdm but can't seem to stop night hypos yet also high in day I had training face to face for 4 hrs x 1 and 2 group video calls another one tomorrow then it will be none for a month any advice from any other podders out there please? I know we're all different on needs, I love using it as no tubes and easy to set up each time I struggle a bit getting insulin out of vial but sure it will all come good as really don't want to go back to jabs again thanks for reading.
Hi NannyNet

Just wanted to see how things are going with you now. Hoping things have now improved

tinyroman

Hi Nannynet. I understand completely your frustration! Don’t know how many times I wanted to chuck my pods and handset out the window, or stomp them to bits. Sometimes I could’ve screamed with frustration when tweaks I made didn’t seem to be working.
But do hang in there, it’ll settle down soon. X

Nannynet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi Nannynet. I understand completely your frustration! Don’t know how many times I wanted to chuck my pods and handset out the window, or stomp them to bits. Sometimes I could’ve screamed with frustration when tweaks I made didn’t seem to be working.
But do hang in there, it’ll settle down soon. X
I hope so they seem to work differently with each pod , and different sites so frustrating thanks for answering.

adamrit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
And I thought I had nightmares with Medtronic 640G pump and uploading results with Carelink! The brilliant thing about the Medtronic pump is that it automatically stops the basal if you are low, gives you a gentle alarm and either you take some carb or it alarms again after a bit. In the early days of pumps without this cut off, my wife had to deal with endless nights of such hypos that I couldn’t deal with them and thrashed around semi conscious and resistant to her attempts to get glucose down me. The last ten years with the cut off before a bad hypo has meant that I have never needed help with a hypo. Life changing for both of us.
All of us with our different pumps, sensors and meters have our own problems. Reading about Omnipod problems makes me much happier to stick with Medtronic.
HbA1c 8.2 At the moment, Medtronic 640G, and Sensor 3 and Accu-Chek Mobile Tester.

Nannynet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi NannyNet

Thanks for that. I have found that the odd Libre 2 works well, but more have been completely off. I have taken to turning off the alarms overnight to get some sleep. I am hoping Dexcom 1 will be available on prescription soon. I have self funded Dexcom 1 and found much better than Libre 2. Like you I would be interested in Omnipod 5 and closed loop when it is available
Well I'm still trying to omnipod dash settings right I have to keep altering everything (not all at once) I altered basal ok for few days then to high or low correction factor even carb ratio thought I was always pretty good with that, I have to keep altering hoping to get omnipod 5 with dexcom g6 when available at my hospital I will have to self fund sensors even libre 2 seems all over the place at times, I stay in at least 80% target but that's because I'm on it all the time correcting/ altering really getting me down hope to see endocrinologist Dec/Jan time .

Bluemarinejosephine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dear Nannynet,

I trust this message finds you well. I am new to the Omnipod Dash, I have only been using it for 1 week.and I wanted to reach out to you as a fellow new Omnipod Dash user and share my experiences from my first week using it.

Upon commencing my Omnipod Dash journey, I collaborated closely with my diabetes nurse to establish my basal rate. Our primary objective was to achieve stable background blood glucose levels. To attain this, I underwent a series of consecutive basal tests for us to pinpoint and reconfirm the precise insulin dosages that work best for me.

Initially, we structured my basal program into four segments, each catering to different timeframes of the day and night:

00:00 – 05:00

05:00 – 06:00

06:00 – 21:00

21:00 – 00:00

Despite our meticulous efforts, it became evident that my insulin requirements fluctuated significantly throughout the day and night. This led to a series of trials and errors, accompanied by several hypoglycaemic episodes. In response, we embarked on a journey of refining my basal program, which has now evolved to include a total of 10 distinct segments (instead of 4).

The dosage within each segment exhibits significant variations, with values ranging from 0.55 to 0.25. The aim was for my insulin delivery to be tailored to my unique needs during specific time intervals.

While I acknowledge that I am only learning, I couldn't help but wonder if you might be encountering a similar challenge in managing your basal rates. It might be beneficial to consider breaking down your day and aligning it with circadian rhythm, into multiple segments to optimize your insulin regimen further.

I am eager to hear about your experiences and any insights you might be willing to share. Let's continue to support each other on our Omnipod Dash journey.

Wishing you good health and success in your diabetes management.

Warm regards,

Josephine

Nannynet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
Dear Nannynet,

I trust this message finds you well. I am new to the Omnipod Dash, I have only been using it for 1 week.and I wanted to reach out to you as a fellow new Omnipod Dash user and share my experiences from my first week using it.

Upon commencing my Omnipod Dash journey, I collaborated closely with my diabetes nurse to establish my basal rate. Our primary objective was to achieve stable background blood glucose levels. To attain this, I underwent a series of consecutive basal tests for us to pinpoint and reconfirm the precise insulin dosages that work best for me.

Initially, we structured my basal program into four segments, each catering to different timeframes of the day and night:

00:00 – 05:00

05:00 – 06:00

06:00 – 21:00

21:00 – 00:00

Despite our meticulous efforts, it became evident that my insulin requirements fluctuated significantly throughout the day and night. This led to a series of trials and errors, accompanied by several hypoglycaemic episodes. In response, we embarked on a journey of refining my basal program, which has now evolved to include a total of 10 distinct segments (instead of 4).

The dosage within each segment exhibits significant variations, with values ranging from 0.55 to 0.25. The aim was for my insulin delivery to be tailored to my unique needs during specific time intervals.

While I acknowledge that I am only learning, I couldn't help but wonder if you might be encountering a similar challenge in managing your basal rates. It might be beneficial to consider breaking down your day and aligning it with circadian rhythm, into multiple segments to optimize your insulin regimen further.

I am eager to hear about your experiences and any insights you might be willing to share. Let's continue to support each other on our Omnipod Dash journey.

Wishing you good health and success in your diabetes management.

Warm regards,

Josephine
Thanks for answering I have been trying since April with basal and what works for a few days then dosent I end up not using much at times to using much higher also legs don't seem to absorb so well .

Nannynet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
Thanks for answering I have been trying since April with basal and what works for a few days then dosent I end up not using much at times to using much higher also legs don't seem to absorb so well .
Hi Josephine just thought I'd update you as you were interested in my progress with dash well I went for a meal tonight to local hungry horse which is not a usual thing and since meal so far have given 4 corrections changed pod also now 16.9 I start to go lower then up I go again I have been a type 1 for 28 years and this system do far is not helping
Regards Annette

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well I'm still trying to omnipod dash settings right I have to keep altering everything (not all at once) I altered basal ok for few days then to high or low correction factor even carb ratio thought I was always pretty good with that, I have to keep altering hoping to get omnipod 5 with dexcom g6 when available at my hospital I will have to self fund sensors even libre 2 seems all over the place at times, I stay in at least 80% target but that's because I'm on it all the time correcting/ altering really getting me down hope to see endocrinologist Dec/Jan time .
Hi Nannynet

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I had cataract surgery on both eyes last week and am finding using screens and reading very challenging. I will not get new glasses till my eyes heal ( 6 weeks then I can have an eye test and get new glasses ordered ) Things are slowly improving. Not quickly enough for me.

I can empathise with your experiences of adjusting very frequently. I am doing that as well. Things go well for a while and then !!!. The pump team locally are quite helpful but much of it is up to me. Sorry I cannot give you any more positive.

Nannynet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi Nannynet

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I had cataract surgery on both eyes last week and am finding using screens and reading very challenging. I will not get new glasses till my eyes heal ( 6 weeks then I can have an eye test and get new glasses ordered ) Things are slowly improving. Not quickly enough for me.

I can empathise with your experiences of adjusting very frequently. I am doing that as well. Things go well for a while and then !!!. The pump team locally are quite helpful but much of it is up to me. Sorry I cannot give you any more positive.
Hi hope it improves soon my husband is having cataract surgery in few weeks.
Well I don't know what the answer is for pods the only thing I can put it down to is they absorb differently where you place them and you get nice constant readings then boom! Different pod placement then I end up lowering or highering basal I hope we can both get omnipod 5 soon to try but not everyone seems happy with that!
I so hate Diabetes keep in touch.
Hi Nannynet

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
this is really difficult to give a good answer ----- my only thought is to keep records of sugar levels on different areas of the body and set basal rates that sort of match up --- so if thighs aren't brilliant set basal rates slightly higher and if stomach sites are sensitive change to a different basal program to suit ( i believe we can have 7 different basal programs )

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Nannynet

I would agree that control seems to vary depending on where the pod is located. For me seems better on my arms and legs. Tummy is a bit hit or miss.

It is frustrating that things vary so much on a day to day basis. There are so many things that can affect control. Diabetes is not like other illness where you may be started on medication and apart from some modifications it remains the same.

I had not thought on having different basal rates to cope with sites