Omnipod failure rate

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know if anyone can help shed a little light. I've had 3 pods fail this month, one occlusion which is self explanatory, the other 2 are error codes 019 then 103 and 104, (error change site I think this indicates)
I Each time they've failed its been proceeded by several hours of high sugars that I've been unable to control.

I'm using 4 sites in rotation and trying to orintate the pod differently each time. (upper arms and abdomen) I used to use my thighs too but absorption seemed irregular.

Anyone with any bright ideas?

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Richard F

I am also an Omnipod user. Not sure I can be of any help. I have not experienced many failures in the 2 years. Three or four I think. I cannot remember the errors codes only the screamimg pods.

It is very frustrating when technology fails. Hope you do not experience any more issues. Good luck

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thx, I'm going to start carrying a pen around too...
So much stuff.

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good plan. I would agree there is a lot to carry around with you. I always carry pens and a spare pod & vial of insulin

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
I don't know if anyone can help shed a little light. I've had 3 pods fail this month, one occlusion which is self explanatory, the other 2 are error codes 019 then 103 and 104, (error change site I think this indicates)
I Each time they've failed its been proceeded by several hours of high sugars that I've been unable to control.

I'm using 4 sites in rotation and trying to orintate the pod differently each time. (upper arms and abdomen) I used to use my thighs too but absorption seemed irregular.

Anyone with any bright ideas?
I have been podding for about 4months. But I had a lot of trouble for 6 weeks. Had several pod leaks and bleeds. Someone on a Facebook group suggested. When the pod is attached pinch up the surrounding area. Then insert cannula whilst also pushing the clear end down into skin slightly. Then release when done. It works for me. But we are all different. This is my method. Seems to stop my problems.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I cannot offer a solution to your OmniPod failures but wonder why you are carrying a pen around with you when you could be carrying a syringe. The syringe is smaller and can take insulin from the failed pod so you won’t be wasting a whole ped or pen cartridge.
I was prescribed syringes when I started my first pump,and assumed it was standard practice.
I do carry pens if I am away overnight but not for a few hours.

Reactions: Richard F

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The reason I carry pens & needles not syringes is that locally we are not routinely issued with syringes

• Informative
Reactions: In Response