1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Omnipod in N/W England

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by hazyclaire, Aug 21, 2019.

1. hazyclaire

hazyclaire Type 1 · Member

Hi, can anyone please tell me are there any hospitals in the north-west who supply the Omnipod? I believe my hospital (Arrowe Park) doesn’t offer any kind of pump so I’d need to get referred elsewhere, but ideally I’d like the Omnipod so I’d like to get referred somewhere that can offer the actual pump I want! Thank you

• Like Like x 1
  2. Kim Possible

Kim Possible Type 1 · Expert

Is your interest in OmniPod or a patch pump?
    My local CCG do not support OmniPod because it is one of the most expensive pumps.
    However, they support the Medtrum A6 patch pump which I have.
    This is a similar size to the OmniPod with a "more modern" remote control.

I am not in the North West...just suggesting you may not need to limit yourself to one pump.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. hazyclaire

Thank you Helen, that’s really helpful. I hadn’t heard of the Medtrum so will look into it. I’d be happy to have either I’m just not keen on any wires due to young children who constantly climb on me!

4. Becca6510

Becca6510 · Well-Known Member

I live in preston and got my omnipod in July x

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. hazyclaire

How did you go about getting it Becca?

6. Kim Possible

Kim Possible Type 1 · Expert

There are tubeless pumps. Your best bet is to ask your dsn what is available in your CCG.
    There is no point setting your hear on any pump if it is not available for you.

Incidentally, I used to have a tubey pump.
    I was able to keep the tube very well hidden most of the time. It was not a problem when playing with my nieces or participating in sport.
    The driver for a patch pump was size not to get rid of the tube.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. tircoed

tircoed · Well-Known Member

I’m on the Omnipod,I rang them directly and asked what hospital in my area did the pod,the hospital I was attending didn’t do the Omnipod so changed to another hospital in my area who did , been on it for 3 years and love it. Good Luck hope you managed to get one

8. loafhead

loafhead Type 1 · Active Member

Wythenshaw (South Manchester) hospital offers it. I self-referred from my previous hospital Stepping Hill (Stockport) (which had dreadful diabetic care) and at the time invested in a Libre to start sharing why I felt a pump (could have been any) offered better control. After a few meetings, a DAFNE course, you could provide insight into what pump seemed best and after 2 months a pump was issued. That is coming up to 3 years ago this December and took about 9 months before that point. A warning though, a lot of this is governed by NICE criteria which can dictate which hospital offers what.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook