omnipod insulin pump ?

cupcake1

hi :)
i've been looking at different types of insulin pumps, and i came across this one, the omnipod (nick jonas uses it <3 )
does anyone use/know anything about it and is it available in the uk ?
thanks

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Cupcake,

I was actually talking about that one this morning with my diabetes nurse. She said it's one of the newest ones on the market and generally not covered yet by the NHS. So nearly impossible to get. When you are in an area where loads of people use pumps it might get covered within the next few months as it is easier to get included when a lot of people use it (because it becomes a bit cheaper then).

I go to hospital in the Bradford area, and my nurse said because lots of people use pumps here they were looking into getting the Omnipod included in the covered pumps here within the next few months.

Hope this helps! Maybe your area can get it soon as well! I think I will be going for the Medtronic one. It's nice to have a pump with a little remote control, but the Omnipod will have the pod inserted at the area where you put the needle in. Which means that if you want to use it in your tummy, you can see a lump under your chothes where the pod will be. I don't like that myself, but you might not care :D Also, you have to make sure and be really careful you don't lose your remote control. I know I always lose things so I think the Omnipod wouldn't be the pump for me :)

Best of luck and hopefully you will be able to get it :)

cupcake1

thanks :) im going to talk with my doctors and see what they can do, this is just one of the pumps i have been looking at
is the Medtronic one you'd recomend ? it would be my first :)

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We found actually seeing the pumps and being able to hold them and scroll through the menus quite useful in deciding which pump we wanted. Your DSN should be able to get you some sample pumps for you to take a look at. As for the Omnipod, our DSN said that we could get it on the NHS if we really wanted it but we decided against it.