Omnipod ~ Libre, MiaoMiao

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’ve just been told that my 4 year warranty has run out on my Metronic Veo and I have been given the choice of a Metronic 640g or an Omnipod. I’m looking to try an Omnipod and combining it with a Libre Miao Miao. The reason is for low and high alarms. if anyone does this how loud are the alarms

Reactions: kitedoc
D

Deleted Account

My understanding is if you use Libre with Miao Miao, your phone receives alerts. Therefore the volume is dependent on your phone not the Libre, etc.

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
thanks that makes a lot of sense helpful if you have not got the scanner with you

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, @caretaker , if you're getting MiaoMiao, you'll probably end up running it with either Spike on iPhone or xDrip+ on android.

Couple of screenshots to give a general idea of alerts in xDrip+.

You can set up any number you want, for example, I've got low set at 3.9, and another at 3. The reason for that is you can also set up a "snooze" time for each alert, so like an alarm clock it'll not ring again for say 20 mins or so. That can be useful: say you get woken at 3.9, kill the alarm, take some glucose, but then fall asleep again. If your bg continues to rapidly drop during the 20 min snooze time, the 3.9 alarm won't pick you up because it's still snoozing. But the 3 will if it drops that far.

You'll see in the second pic that there's options for editing each alert, and one option is to choose the alert tone. That'll let you select any ring tone you happen to have on your phone, so if you prefer to be woken by, "Bach Cello Suite Bouree" instead of "ring ring", you can do so, and as Helen says, it'll play at whatever your phone volume is at.

xDrip+ has got a lot of flexibility in it, incredibly useful app, have fun with it!

Screenshot_2019-01-29-12-16-32.png

Screenshot_2019-01-29-12-16-42.png

Reactions: Marie 2

Chickenboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Agree, its your phone that sets the volume and you can change it if you need to.

D

Deleted Account

thanks that makes a lot of sense helpful if you have not got the scanner with you
The Libre scanner does not work with Miao Miao and does not provide any alerts.
If you wany alerts and you want to use Miao Miao then you must use a phone app as @Scott-C describes.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
That’s exactly the rig I use - Omnipod, Libre and MiaoMiao with Spike on iPhone. I set my volume in Spike to 2/3 and that wakes me up. Or it wakes the husbeast up, and he wakes me up. I also have vibrating alerts on my watch of I go out of range, which is a lot more discreet if I’m at work ;)

steveo4

I’ve just been told that my 4 year warranty has run out on my Metronic Veo and I have been given the choice of a Metronic 640g or an Omnipod. I’m looking to try an Omnipod and combining it with a Libre Miao Miao. The reason is for low and high alarms. if anyone does this how loud are the alarms
Where are you from because I'm in a similar situation but couldn't get the omnipod as it wasn't an option

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, @caretaker , if you're getting MiaoMiao, you'll probably end up running it with either Spike on iPhone or xDrip+ on android.

Couple of screenshots to give a general idea of alerts in xDrip+.

You can set up any number you want, for example, I've got low set at 3.9, and another at 3. The reason for that is you can also set up a "snooze" time for each alert, so like an alarm clock it'll not ring again for say 20 mins or so. That can be useful: say you get woken at 3.9, kill the alarm, take some glucose, but then fall asleep again. If your bg continues to rapidly drop during the 20 min snooze time, the 3.9 alarm won't pick you up because it's still snoozing. But the 3 will if it drops that far.

You'll see in the second pic that there's options for editing each alert, and one option is to choose the alert tone. That'll let you select any ring tone you happen to have on your phone, so if you prefer to be woken by, "Bach Cello Suite Bouree" instead of "ring ring", you can do so, and as Helen says, it'll play at whatever your phone volume is at.

xDrip+ has got a lot of flexibility in it, incredibly useful app, have fun with it!

View attachment 30915

View attachment 30916

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Where are you from because I'm in a similar situation but couldn't get the omnipod as it wasn't an option

i'm from Southend Essex these are the only 2 pumps available to us omnipod and metronic 640g .
still not sure what way to go. but i would use Libre and MiaoMiao with either

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That’s exactly the rig I use - Omnipod, Libre and MiaoMiao with Spike on iPhone. I set my volume in Spike to 2/3 and that wakes me up. Or it wakes the husbeast up, and he wakes me up. I also have vibrating alerts on my watch of I go out of range, which is a lot more discreet if I’m at work ;)

thanks what watch are you using.

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I love my Omnipod - so easy to use and no tubes etc to deal with. I usually use my stomach but I've seen people place them all over the body as you don't have to think about where the tube/controller can go and can put it somewhere you won't lie on when sleeping, or get in the way for work/sports

Customer Service has been really good too

steveo4

i'm from Southend Essex these are the only 2 pumps available to us omnipod and metronic 640g .
still not sure what way to go. but i would use Libre and MiaoMiao with either
You're lucky you've been offered the omnipod. I'm also in Essex but was told this was an option even though this is the one I really want to use.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
looks good. can you forward an alarm to a landline phone

If you mean so that someone else can keep tabs on what is going on, one thing which is possible is to install xDrip+ on two mobiles, the one being used by the T1 is set up as "master", and the other phone which is being used by their carer or significant other or whatever is set up as "follower", so, provided both have a wi-fi connection, what happens on the master phone, the graphs, alerts, everything, also shows on the follower. Setting that up is fairly simple, just a few button presses. Haven't needed to use it myself but many have said it's fairly reliable.

There's a more complex way of setting it up so that, provided there is a wifi connection, the results will appear on a website, so you can let whoever you choose follow it. Parents, for example, might set that up so they can be sitting at work and have the browser open on their computer so they can keep an eye on their kid at school.

I've not heard of anyone sending to a landline, but in the current version of xdrip there's an experimental way of sending text messages to specified numbers if the user fails to switch off an alert, see pic below. Texts normally go to another mobile, but there seems to be ways of sending them to a service which then calls a landline and reads them out in a computerised voice. Don't know if anyone has tried that with xdrip.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9043/~/set-up-and-use-bt-text

Screenshot_2019-01-30-12-08-50.png

Reactions: caretaker

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've not heard of anyone sending to a landline, but in the current version of xdrip there's an experimental way of sending text messages to specified numbers if the user fails to switch off an alert, see pic below. Texts normally go to another mobile, but there seems to be ways of sending them to a service which then calls a landline and reads them out in a computerised voice. Don't know if anyone has tried that with xdrip.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9043/~/set-up-and-use-bt-text

Not tried specifically with xDrip but on that point - if you send a text message to a landline number it then rings and a snooty sounding automated voice service dictates the message to the recipient.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Not tried specifically with xDrip but on that point - if you send a text message to a landline number it then rings and a snooty sounding automated voice service dictates the message to the recipient.

I suppose the danger of sending a hypo alert by landline is that no-one will pick the phone up because it's probably just some cold-caller trying to flog conservatories or PPI claims!

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Gosh I’m not very good with modern tech, although I use the Omnipod. Can get info downloaded onto computer ( hubby does it,) but I can than view info. What is a dextom G6 is it like the freestyle libre ( which is not funded in Suffolk) or the other forms of alert for hypos ? didn’t know this was possible. I do blood tests 8-10 a day. Thanks for any info .