Omnipod minimum insulin?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The instructions say it needs 85units minimum to function. But, before I fill it with the 85 minimum, can I check with any experienced users that it won't get distressed and start bleeping at me when it gets down to 50 units in the pod?

TDD has been ranging from 18-24 (usually 19.75 ish as standard) so I'm trying to avoid wasting insulin by filling it up with an extra 125 units that I'm definitely not going to need, but I also want to avoid lots of unnecessary bleeps!

Can anyone reassure me that it's fine to fill it up with the minimum & that's not going to result in too many random bleeps?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It's fine, you can set it to alert you at 20u, that is the minimum you can go.

Reactions: 2 people

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's fine, you can set it to alert you at 20u, that is the minimum you can go.

Great, didn't know I could move it under 50, but have found the bit in the instructions now so will give that a go. Thank you.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just one other thing @catapillar, concur with you on insulin wastage, but I would always add a little extra on top of your TDD in case you experience any problems or become ill and need to use a TBR.

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
another thing to think about is this -- presuming you carry your PDM with you wherever you go and you always carry a spare pod and insulin with you in the PDM case

ok -- with me so far........

so the insulin once out of the fridge is good for 30 days
so me doing the maths 1000u in a vial -- 100u per pod change = 10 pods = 30 days
at 85 u per pod change this is 11.67 pod changes and I wouldn't trust the remaining insulin for that last pod change

i would opt to fill to 100u and have the confidence of some back up as @noblehead suggests

another thing to remember as well -- 5 or 6 airshots per day on mdi wastes as much or more.

Reactions: 5 people