1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 Omnipod users

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by heatherparris, Mar 19, 2022.

1. heatherparris

heatherparris · Member

<I have been using the dash omnipod since Dec 2021 and every time I put a new pod on I get high blood sugars for about 4 hours after and I give myself extra units of insulin and blood sugars still take a while to go down, I have tried leaving the old pod on for 4 hrs even though it is disconnected to see if some insulin residue comes out but no it does not. Does anyone have this problem?

2. h884

h884 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi heather.

I too experience this problem. When I asked for advice from the pump team here I was guided to increase my basal rate by 30% for a couple of hours before changing my pod. The other suggestion was change my pod just before giving a bonus. They had found this helps insulin to be absorbed following the “trauma “ caused by the cannula being inserted.

Not sure if this is any help. Good luck in managing this issue

3. JaneC

JaneC Type 1 · Well-Known Member

There's a lot of us Omnipod users with this issue and some oddly who don’t, I do most of the time but not always, no logic to it at all. To combat it I leave the old one on for a few hours but also do a temp basal of 40% for 2 hours if it’s on an underused area or really un fatty place such as high stomach and do a 70% for 3 hours if on my thighs or glutes. Mostly this works and if not I do a small basal. It’s not a tried and tested method and my insulin rates are low which might be a reason why the new pod takes a while to bed in. Good luck, it’s a pain!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook