Omnipod

glavesr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Getting omnipod in January looking for advice and opinions as it's my first time using any sort of pump

Reactions: himtoo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi @glavesr
great news for you !!
I have been using the omnipod for 26 months and I love it !!
It is the only pump I have used so cannot offer any comparisons.

I like the fact I can wear it in the shower or for swimming. I like the fact it is tubeless.
it is pretty small and the PDM ( the handheld controller for the pump ) is really easy to use.

I don't like the fact that it is a fixed 72 hour pod change.
I tend to aim for a pod change at around 9am every three days -- but sometimes that is not a totally convenient time for me -- so I need to change earlier - which in turn means the following change has to be done at that earlier time. ( if that makes sense )

and on the odd occasion I am going on holiday that coincides with a pod change day I end up changing the night before as I don't really want to do a change sitting in terminal 1 of manchester airport at 8am -- LOL

for me it has really helped smooth my BG readings
My HbA1c has increased since starting on a pump
( pre pumping days was always 5.9% to 6.1% ) now on pump i am getting 6.5% - 6.6% but far fewer hypos and hypers
so a win win for me.

hope this helps !!
tagging @catapillar as she uses an omnipod too !!

glavesr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you
I'm going to be getting the as transition from pen to pump if I can get along with the omnipod then my consultant will swap me to a pump but who knows I may like the pods and decide to keep them

Reactions: himtoo
D

Deleted Account

Thank you
I'm going to be getting the as transition from pen to pump if I can get along with the omnipod then my consultant will swap me to a pump but who knows I may like the pods and decide to keep them
Do you mean your consultant sees the Omnipod as a half way stage between a pen and a tubey pump?
This is not normal: an Omnipod IS a type of pump. It just has no tube.

I had no choice about my pump: it was Animas with its tube or stick with pens. So I went for the pump.
It is great: the ability to alter my basal gives me far more control that I had with Lantus every 24 hours.
That said, the benefits come with effort. I have to remember to adjust my basal every time I do some exercise ... and for the next 24 hours afterwards.
And that's not without the adjustments and tweaks to get it working for me to start with (and ongoing tweaks).
Expect a little bit of instability when you first get attached to your Omnipod as you set up the correct basal for you. There may be some trial and error.
But once you are set, enjoy the freedom.

glavesr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
No the doc sees it as £500 pdm or £4000 pump and my need for the pump if based issues Iv had a while with pain from injection the doc thinks there something in background insulin my body doesn't like
But he will not give the tubed pump just in case the pain doesn't go away and he then wastes £4000 of the NHS money

Chris_Casey

Hi
I am a final 4th year Industrial Product Designer studying at Northumbria University Newcastle. Currently exploring into Diabetes patients, their routines and the infringement of current medical devices on their lives. I am analysing the products on the market as I believe their is opportunity for better designed products and systems to be more appropriate to the consumer.Over the next few months this will develop into a product design and prototypes for my final year university project.

@helensaramay point of "Do you mean your consultant sees the Omnipod as a half way stage between a pen and a tubey pump? This is not normal: an Omnipod IS a type of pump. It just has no tube. "
I find very interesting and I believe their is still a lot of opportunity to develop a product-pump for the market that perhaps provides the ability for a tube as well as is stuck to the body. meaning you can alternate. Also if the pod is developed to work with less intrusive micro needle technology then the whole device could feel less invasive. I am currently in the very early exploration phase.

As omnipods are disposable I was wondering if someone could please help with my research by posting me used pods so I can physically explore the technology inside. I would greatly appreciate this and refund the postage costs..
I am trying to develop discussions with the different pump and device manufacturers to have a look at them, but due to their high cost, it is proving very difficult. The high cost of the pumps is something my exploration is hoping to improve in reducing the disposable elements. I have a specific interest in the omnipod and its functionality.

I will make a separate post regarding this but as this discussion was highly centred around omnipod, it felt appropriate.

Chris

Post edited to remove contact details

Last edited by a moderator:

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had a discussion with my DSN today about pumps. Nothing too intense as I was only diagnosed less than 2 months ago, but something to work towards in the future perhaps, along with doing the DAFNE course, which may now be in January, rather than September.

One thing I seem to have seen, is that Omnipod is not available in the Republic of Ireland, I know we are sometimes a little bit behind on this sort of thing, but wouldn't you think this would be a no brainer. Especially for people who are active and would like the option of not having a tubed pump.

glavesr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@JoeT1 the reason I'm wanting a tubes pump is I have enough trouble keeping a libre sensor on my arm also some large adhesive cause allergic reactions and tubed pumps are a smaller adhesive plus I have a fear of knocking the omnipod off so as I say I have to go with the omnipod as a trial to see if it causes as much pain as background insulin which I find extremely painful which is why my doctor would rather get the cheaper option to see if it is even an option for me if it is an option then I can look at the type of pump I want a tubed pump (insight or 649g)
And I found the DAFNE course so helpful good luck in January