Omnipod

LizF_F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Type 1 for 38 years. I am starting the Omnipod in a few weeks. How do people find it and any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi and welcome @LizF_F. I use an insulin pump, but not the Omnipod.
@Mel dCP does and I am sure can provide a very informative report just as soon as she has recovered from her busy week!!
And am I am sure other Omnipod users out there have their views !?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’ve been using Omnipod for three months now, it’s my first pump, so have nothing to compare it to. I love it! So small and convenient, just fill it with insulin, stick it on, and it will automatically insert a cannula within its own footprint, so nothing is sticking out. The control unit is pretty clunky, although they’re launching a new touchscreen model next year. My best tip is that if you press the ? button down, the screen gets brighter - it’s woeful in bright sunlight. I always carry a spare pod in my bag, along with my vial of insulin and a couple of old school disposable syringes, so that if it fails when I’m out, I can do a quick change - or at least do an injection if I need to. I’ve only had one failure so far, the pod emits a loud, continuous beep that you have to silence by taking it off and pushing a pin into a small spot on the back of it. I keep a safety pin on my key ring for just this purpose! That pod is then useless, so you need to pop another on ASAP to keep the feed of insulin going.

There’s a good Facebook group called “Omnipod users” too.

Do you have any specific questions about it?