On 24 hour fast

Pink

Hi all I'm on a 24 hour fast to see if my basal is working.

I'm on hour 16 and I'm hungry! I'm sipping diet coke it's distracting me from the lovely dinner everyone's having downstairs but helllllp Lol. :lol:

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Hi Pink,
I was going to describe my dinner to you but unfortunately I've lost my flak jacket, but it was good :lol: :lol: :lol:

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
This is probably the last thing you want to hear at this stage, but 24 hours seems extreme? Can you not spread the load over a few days, and fast for specific, overlapping periods during those days? Means you don't actually starve! I do this every 3 months and it's no problem at all.

Pink

I'm feeling good! The coke has helped. And I started watching this political documentary which detracted from feeling hungry. Don't feel hungry now- shouldn't really complain as it's only a day and there r people who have no choice. So feel a bit silly for moaning now. :?

I'm a lil confused about the fasting technique you had in mind could you explain it to me pls. I may be seeing a consultant tomorrow so wanted to do the day long test to see if I have an argument for changing insulin.

xx

Jay3109

We all react differently to fasting of course and good luck with yours Pinks. As I only ever eat one meal a day at 6pm I fast for 24 hours every day!!!

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Pinkalish said:
I'm feeling good! The coke has helped. And I started watching this political documentary which detracted from feeling hungry. Don't feel hungry now- shouldn't really complain as it's only a day and there r people who have no choice. So feel a bit silly for moaning now. :?

I'm a lil confused about the fasting technique you had in mind could you explain it to me pls. I may be seeing a consultant tomorrow so wanted to do the day long test to see if I have an argument for changing insulin.

xx
Well the politics will send you off to sleep I suppose! Here's what I do, it's based on the old eating mantra of 3 meals a day - breakfast, lunch and dinner, eating normal meals except where indicated:

Day 1: skip breakfast; test at 2am, 6am, 8am, 10am and 12pm.
Day 2: skip lunch; test at 10am, 12pm, 2pm, 4pm and 6pm.
Day 3: late dinner; test at 2pm, 4pm, 6pm and 8pm.

You don't have to do the fasting on consecutive days, and overall it's less arduous than starving yourself for 24 hours, although it obviously takes longer. Admittedly I use a pump, but the theory's the same for someone on basal/bolus MDI. Using this method I have achieved fairly flat bg levels throughout the day, so it definitely works for me, and fits well into my ever-changing daily "routine". Give it a try :wink:.