One for the girls, Do Periods affect Blood Glucose levels?

Julz

Im having a few problems finding a medication that suits me, and my doctor has recently put me on Metformin SR, after having a bad reaction to ordinary Metformin. Im also Anaemic from suffering with fibroids, which cause me to hemorage at period time. Last month this made me suffer from ectopic beats and palpitations, which were very scary indeed, but it was also my first week of taking ordinary Metformin, and at the time i had no way of testing my glucose levels.

Im now very scared about having my next period, although my doctor has prescribed iron tablets to be taken twice a day for the next six months, im frightened that the heart problems will return.
Does anyone else suffer with bad side effects of metformin in a similar way which may be linked to their monthly cycle?

Julz

Aubergenie

Dislikes
Weetabix, Twilight, Katherine Jenkins,
I cant say that I have with Metformin, I found that with Gliclazide I had lighter, more regular periods, and my BSL's were more in control. Since I stopped that in November, they are starting to get heavier/higher.

Saying that, however, I was on ordinary metformin for 5.5 years before and it never bothered me. maybe its the Metformin MR?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm in my 60s and post menopause, but I'll bet most women get changes during the premenstrual time and their period. The hormones are changing balance and the basal temperature changes.
If you have big changes, I suggest you ask the doctor for test strips.
You may have to show you need them first. the doctors are not used to pre-menopause type 2.
Hana