One off high reading query.

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sat down to my lunch today and the meter said 9.1. Its a bit random because I was high 6s low 7s all day yesterday. I haven't eaten anything since yesterday dinner and in three weeks low carb my readings are very rarerly over 8 (and that's early morning with the dawn phenom stuff) I started thinking about posts on here that say wash your hands and do it again, so I did and lo and behold 6.8 but I'd started eating by then so the actually question is :- Are three forkfuls of liver and fried egg (scoffed in a couple of minutes) enough to make the meter drop from 9.1 to 6.8 or do I consider it my first rogue reading?

DChes

If you really want to answer that question, you have to keep measuring each day and see if there is a pattern or not. Only then will you know what was rogue or not. If you are later than usual for a meal, will your liver put out some blood sugar to tide you over? Is your blood sugar elevated because you did some exercise that paradoxically raised your blood sugar (again with the liver "helping" you but you didn't then burn up all the extra energy before you stopped to measure and eat lunch. You need more data to know what is rouge.

Reactions: Margarettt

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sat down to my lunch today and the meter said 9.1. Its a bit random because I was high 6s low 7s all day yesterday. I haven't eaten anything since yesterday dinner and in three weeks low carb my readings are very rarerly over 8 (and that's early morning with the dawn phenom stuff) I started thinking about posts on here that say wash your hands and do it again, so I did and lo and behold 6.8 but I'd started eating by then so the actually question is :- Are three forkfuls of liver and fried egg (scoffed in a couple of minutes) enough to make the meter drop from 9.1 to 6.8 or do I consider it my first rogue reading?
In my experience eating something/anything wouldn't give you that sort of drop. Meters are (if I'm remembering this correctly) only supposed to be accurate to within 15% of the actual reading for 95% of tests. So it'll always be a bit off and you have about a 1 in 20 chance of a reading being something really odd.

I'd have done exactly what you did - retested and put the initial reading down to equipment error.

Last edited:

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The change of batteries may not have been required, but by taking out the old ones you effectively rebooted the meter. Which solves many things where computers and electronics are concerned.

• Informative
Reactions: Outlier and Antje77