One year diaversary ^_^

Chikivivia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Today marks first year post diagnosis of me having type 1 :) just thought I'd share and reflect..what can I say? It's been one heck of a rocky road. I remember the few weeks and months after my diagnosis, in the middle of my gcses and in the midst of exams, how displaced and emotionally challenged I was. One year on, and diabetes is a ball game where my lack of hand eye coordination does me well ;) for anyone recently diagnosed, or anyone who knows one that has been diagnosed, just know that it does get better with time. As cliche as it sounds..I refused to believe this when my world felt like it had come crashing down but time does heal. It truly does..be patient with yourself, allow yourself to fully feel all emotions until you can move forward. It will get easier with time. Diabetes is a challenge every day, some days fly by with great results and others feel slightly more slow paced but always be gentle to yourself, through the spikes and all. :)

One more thing..does anyone celebrate their diaversaries?? I'm thinking of maybe a spot of lunch with the family. Please let me know of your diaversary dates and anything you do on such days, or anything you don't do haha..thank you for reading, have a great day! :)

Reactions: 4 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I celebrate with new sandals or handbags. Food always messes with me. Not worth the price I pay But YMMV

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't celebrate it as such...but this year I did take time to reflect after turning things around over the last year and getting the best hba1c I've ever had since coming out of the honeymoon period many moons ago. I found my first ever meter stashed away in a cupboard somewhere the other day and it made me realise how much things have changed since diagnosis and how much easier it is to control...from a big old brick that seemed to take hours to give a result to a libre which tells you everything you need to know with a single swipe..heaven only know's where we'll be in the next 16 years :)

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there. Yes i celebrate it. Its called my jubiletes lol i usually get a few friends and go bowling and for food etc and dare i say it....cake!!!
Kristin251 love your idea of buying handbags!!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I don't remember the date of my diagnosis. Just the month. It wasn't something you paid attention to back then. How times change!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine was 7 years yesterday with T2 - I mark it and reflect as it changed my life - in a weird way I am thankful for my diagnosis - I reckon now I will live longer with T2 than I would have without it as I look after myself and my health so much more. I posted yesterday listing the things that have changed for me in 7 years - not one negative!

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Today marks first year post diagnosis of me having type 1 :) just thought I'd share and reflect..what can I say? It's been one heck of a rocky road. I remember the few weeks and months after my diagnosis, in the middle of my gcses and in the midst of exams, how displaced and emotionally challenged I was. One year on, and diabetes is a ball game where my lack of hand eye coordination does me well ;) for anyone recently diagnosed, or anyone who knows one that has been diagnosed, just know that it does get better with time. As cliche as it sounds..I refused to believe this when my world felt like it had come crashing down but time does heal. It truly does..be patient with yourself, allow yourself to fully feel all emotions until you can move forward. It will get easier with time. Diabetes is a challenge every day, some days fly by with great results and others feel slightly more slow paced but always be gentle to yourself, through the spikes and all. :)

One more thing..does anyone celebrate their diaversaries?? I'm thinking of maybe a spot of lunch with the family. Please let me know of your diaversary dates and anything you do on such days, or anything you don't do haha..thank you for reading, have a great day! :)

congrats ;) today is my 15th year. i celebrated with a mcdonald's for lunch. whoops!