OneTouch Free Meter Offer - Scam or Not?

cristis

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
[That's for their Canadian onetouch.ca website, but it may apply to other countries as well]

I filled in their form for a free OneTouch meter (that's what they say), but they actually sent me a coupon for a free meter only if I pay for a pack of 100 test strips.

Problem is I used OneTouch meters and strips for two years, but I never buy a separate box of strips. Just because it is the same price to buy a meter, which comes with 100 strips free. (My insurance then pays for a part of this, but that's a separate story)

So it doesn't look like a FREE offer to me at all, it is for their same regular price! Am I missing something?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

So it doesn't look like a FREE offer at all to me!
I got a free Abbot Freestyle Freedom Lite meter this time last year, I also have to buy the strips as a T2.

I do not see it as a problem as I get subsidised strips ($1.30 for a 100 strip box) being a member of the NDSS.

Nick1974

Type of diabetes
Type 2
[That's for their Canadian onetouch.ca website, but it may apply to other countries as well]

I filled in their form for a free OneTouch meter (that's what they say), but they actually sent me a coupon for a free meter only if I pay for a pack of 100 test strips.

Problem is I used OneTouch meters and strips for two years, but I never buy a separate box of strips. Just because it is the same price to buy a meter, which comes with 100 strips free. (My insurance then pays for a part of this, but that's a separate story)

So it doesn't look like a FREE offer to me at all, it is for their same regular price! Am I missing something?

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It Does seem like a crafty Marketing Ploy to me remember the Old Gillette Razors which had a replaceable blade with holes in it which made it fit only the Gillette Razor Gillette patented the Razor and Gave them away at first then sat back and made a fortune selling Blades but onetouch.ca seem not to be prepared to wait for sale. Maybe because they worry about Non diabetics buying the Meter borrowing one strip from a friend and then putting it in a draw not a scam but clumsy marketing

Nick1974

Type of diabetes
Type 2
i do not know if it is different in U.K. or Canada but in United States you can get free meters everywhere. They only cost a few dollars to make so it makes them easy to give away. I got mine for free from my doctor because it works with his software on his computer. The test strips is what you have to pay for. That is how companies make their money because you will be buying them for life. Do not ever pay for a meter. It is like the cell phone industry. Cell phones cost practically nothing to make, which is why u can get a $300 cell phone for $20 if you sign up for a 2 year plan. You are right you are not getting much of a deal but think just ten years ago you had to by a meter and the were around $80 dollars...then you had to buy strips..Diabetes is expensive

cristis

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do not ever pay for a meter.

You're right. And OneTouch could indeed offer the meters for free, with no strings attached. While you're required to later pay for the strips anyway.

But they still don't do it. Not in Canada, anyway :)

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
You're right. And OneTouch could indeed offer the meters for free, with no strings attached. While you're required to later pay for the strips anyway.

But they still don't do it. Not in Canada, anyway :)
FYI - Canada Safeway has a promotion on right now, buy the test strips get a free meter (One Touch Verio and AccuChek Aviva). They actually do this regularly.