Online diary or food database suggestions?

mrs bambi

Hi,

I just joined up yesterday ~ I posted a bit about myself in the introductions section. This forum is so helpful already !

I am going to try moving to a low carb diet as I think I eat far too many carbs albeit wholegrain type ones. My doctor has had me eating low fat, low sugar, normal carbs so no wonder my BG is rarely in single figures. Can anyone reccomend any online food diaries or food databases of nutritional values? I am going to buy a carb counting book but wanted to start now ! Also do I just aim for a figure I think will work for my carb intake? Say 100g a day? I felt like I was going to die after 3 days on the Atkins diet as an extreme diet in my 20's and don't want to do that again !

Cheers, Mrs B

saz1

http://www.carbs-information.com/carbs-in-food.htm

Here's a site I found, it takes a little searching but you'll find pretty much anything, start with the yellow column. Good luck, I am also a reduced carb eater and my sugars are now mostly under 6, sometimes upto 7, but then I have only been diagnosed for 5 weeks and started from 16.3. I also feel so much better!!! :mrgreen:

mrs bambi

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the links, some great sources of information there !

saz1~ your improvement is very inspiring :D i really hope it helps me and I look forward to feeling better as I generally feel rough, tired and unwell at the moment. am off for a check up tomorrow at the doctor so am going to propose this eating plan to her and see the reaction. the dietican she sent me to made no mention of cutting carbs and encouraged me to snack on ryvita & oatcakes !

Mrs B

saz1

Good luck for the check up! I must say my practice seems to be quite progressive since the first thing the nurse said is to watch carb intake and the doctor agreed. So that is one point for my practice, sadly it seems to be more of an exeption than anything else. But I also learnt from here that sometimes you just have to smile and nod and carry on with what you are doing regardless. The best thing to do is to give lower carbing a go and ignore the oatcakes and ryvita advice. Give your self a couple of months to see if your blood sugars and lipids come down by low carbing and that is your answer.

I must emphasize, I'm not a hardcore low carber but more of reduced carber. My daily carb intake varies but I eat no pasta, rice or commercial bread and no ready meals anymore. I can't be reasonable with things like rice, only a mountain would do, so I'm better off avoiding it... But it is absolutely amazing feeling to have your gp and nurse be absolutely gobsmacked by your progress, I have experienced it and my gp was seriously impressed! Feels great and it is definitely doable!! :lol:

mrs bambi

Just back from the check up where the low carb diet suggestion was pretty much ignored ! The GP is now putting me onto insulin from next Thursday when she "trains" me and is referring me to the clinic at the hospital. The nurse is lovely but had no further diet advice and cooed over my toddler instead. The smile, nod and carry on face was put into action....
Before the "training" am going to try reducing my carbs none the less and see what happens. I know I can't do it too drastically as I feel too weak to do anything unless I have some sort of carbs. My HBA1C was 9.4 though so am keen to do something, anything ! Running for miles and miles no longer works for me and nor do the tablets (metformin, glic, rosi) !
Gold star for your work saz1, I'm just jealous ! :mrgreen:

jacob11

Choose an online diary that offers accurate nutrition information, flexibility and ease of data entry. Test the site by entering your food intake for a particular day, and then cross-check the nutrition analysis -- calories, fat, sugar and other nutrients -- against a nutrition text from the library. Ensure that the database includes the foods that you normally eat and also allows you to add food items if needed. Preview any additional features, including nutrition analysis, reports, exercise tracking, fitness advice and user forums to see whether they meet your needs.

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have a smartphone? iPhone, android, they have great software to get track of all foods and nutritional values, carbs, sugars etc, very handy when out and about. I use "my net diary pro" on iPhone its great.