Online Shopping and Tracking the Shipments

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is it as crazy and interesting in the UK as it is here in the US? :)

Just wondering because I do most of my shopping these days online and have been having some hilarious* experiences with estimated arrival times and other misinformation.

*Choosing to call these experiences "hilarious" because otherwise they could have me pulling my hair out or staring out the window with binoculars scanning for a UPS or FedEx or post office mail truck.

Do y'all get any notices like "snowfalls in the west of Scotland are delaying some deliveries" when you live in East Sussex and have ordered something from Bristol?

Last edited:
Reactions: ally1

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I had ordered something from amazon this Monday just gone and was told delivery was expected 29th December. I didn't mind as wasn't a present. It arrived yesterday early evening

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The one here is where the delivery person puts your parcel if your not in. Most cant be bothered to check if a neighbour will sign for it so it gets left on things like shed roofs - how did they get up there or thrown over your back gate - bang goes the vanity mirror you bought for your daughter. Under your car. Ok so if the car is there surely I'm in? In your wheelie bin amongst all of your everyday waste.

Interesting stuff

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know I shouldn't laugh but thanks, I needed that! I'm still waiting for the Christmas stamps I ordered from the post office website. They have the worst tracking updates! But they are the most reliable about actually getting the thing to you and fortunately in my apartment building we have locking mailboxes and bigger locking boxes they can put packages in. In a house it could be left outside the garage (and in the weather) instead of on the front porch, which has a roof but also steps, but the shed roof is a new one on me! :)

D

Deleted member 308541

Were going to try online grocery shopping next week, hope it all arrives safely.

D

Deleted member 308541

Were going to try online grocery shopping next week, hope it all arrives safely.
We put our grocery order in, as we spent enough we got free delivery. It will be delivered between 10:00 am and 13:00. It's trackable as well.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I enjoy tracking shipments (when they don't get lost. :) )
I hope your groceries arrive in good time.
I'm now waiting on one more order, a shirt. It's expected to arrive next Monday. A flannel shirt that I hope will be as warm and snuggly as the online reviews say.

D

Deleted member 308541

I hope your groceries arrive in good time.
They were delivered just after 10:00 am, they give us a free box of chocolates for being a first time user.

We will be using it again, it makes life easier for us. :D

D

Deleted member 308541

We like this online grocery shopping, we have just put another order in at Woolies.

I wonder if we will get another box of chocs again... :D

Reactions: SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I mailed a Christmas present to a friend in Hawaii, took it to the post office on December 14th. They said maybe 10 days (it usually takes a letter about 4 days). I have been tracking it, and as of today it is still "moving within the system, on its way to the next facility." It was last seen in San Francisco, which is on the opposite coast from me, but still a long way from Hawaii.. Expected arrival date is January 2nd.

Meanwhile the package that my friend in Hawaii mailed on the 20th reached me on Christmas Eve (the usual 4 days' time).

I don't know what is going on with the mail and other shipping services this Christmas season. I think that so many people are sending things Priority Mail and expedited 2-day delivery, that regular mail isn't being taken seriously by the Postal Service, UPS, or any other shipper. :(

Oh, well, at least January 2nd is well within the Twelve Days of Christmas.

@Tipetoo, let me know if y'all get another box of chocolate. :)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Due to us being heavy mail users at work I get worldwide mailing updates. It's funny what will affect things. Italy don't like mail with printed return addresses, South Africa recently had a mail workers strike, volcanos, earthquakes and anything affecting airfreight also ruin things.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've experienced that sort of thing too, @Diakat . Just this year, online vendors have posted notices that there were shipping delays on the west coast because of wildfires, on the east coast because of hurricanes, and, this winter, delays due to snowstorms.

Last night I was Google-mapping some highways in Texas, and in the middle of that stark, barren, desert-like west Texas countryside a double-trailered FedEx tractor-trailer truck was traveling all alone. It really brought home to me what all these drivers have to do to get our Christmas presents and other orders to us. I love to drive, and to travel, but I could not do that job. These men and women are amazing.

Reactions: Sue192 and Diakat

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
when ordered anything from Amazon it arrives very swift am well pleased with their service.

D

Deleted member 308541

when ordered anything from Amazon it arrives very swift am well pleased with their service.
I was always pleased how quick stuff arrived from Amazon UK, it was usually within a week to get here in Australia. They do not take online orders from here anymore, as they do not want to sort the GST out for the Australian Government.

Amazon US are good as well, although the Kindles we bought took a while as they were rationed out. Good online tracking though.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just got a surprise package from Amazon, an unexpected Christmas present from a friend. Ordered on the 17th, arrived here on the 28th or 29th. I like the fact that they now leave packages in my mailbox downstairs in my apartment building, so I don't have to think about being home for a delivery. The mailboxes here have locks.

D

Deleted member 308541

I am going to order our low carb bread online from Herman Brot, I normally get it at the local health food store, but it's a pita to get a park there so have to walk over from the main shopping centre car park.

It works out cheaper per loaf (min four loaves) getting sent up overnight by a transport company than buying it from the shop.