Open water swimming

tulip87

Does anyone here have experience of this and diabetes, and whether I need to be taking any extra precautions because of it? Am due to be seeing my consultant to "discuss things" in the next few weeks but I am wanting to keep at least cold water training before that.

The past week I've been swimming in an outdoor pool - 14 to 17 degrees which has been mostly lovely, as have the sea/lakes I've swum in before.

Have just noticed a few things that happen when I go in the water, and was wondering if these are normal or diabetes exacerbated?:
1) four toes on my left foot go numb very fast (Within a few minutes of entering water, other extremities fine for 20 minutes or so). I have had cellulitis in this area recently too so unsure if they are connected?
2) yesterday felt really lousy (hypo feelings, shivery, dizzy, sick to stomach, headache) from getting out of water to over 24 hours later (Still not quite right now). But blood sugar in low normal range - 4.9. Am wondering if this is likely to be blood sugar related, because I got too cold, or if am just going down with something... Held off the swimming today just to be on the safe side.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Wow!
I couldn't survive that
I shiver continuously for 45 minutes during my Aqua exercise class twice a week. They claim the water is at 29 degrees. My skin says otherwise, or they just measured beside the warm water inlet. Do be careful!
Hana

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
The numbness you feel could be diabetes-related, especially given your recent history of cellulitis, but it may depend on your peripheral circulation. Have you ever had a Doppler blood flow test? This would tell you more.

Do you ever measure your temperature after swimming? What you describe sounds very similar to how I felt for a couple of days after a particularly bad hypo, during which my body temperature dropped to 29°. Not fun. :(

I know I've mentioned elsewhere about not giving up sport for diabetes, but even this would be a tricky one for me. I gave up scuba diving because of becoming hypo unaware - one of my few concessions to the condition - and even if you are aware of hypo onset, the risk to you is significantly higher than "usual". But you know that! :wink:

(ps ever seen the film of similar name?!)

tulip87

Thank you both!

Hana - you get used to it suprisingly quickly! But I must keeo my shoulders under the water the whole time or I get very cold very fast (maybe that's why aerobics is extra cold).

Kegstore - I have seen the film (Open Water, at least if that's what you mean) - horrible, horrible, puts me off mass organised groups long distance swim/dives for life!! I've never had a Doppler blood flow test no, perhaps I should ask about it when I next seem my doctor. Although my peripheral pulses were tested in July just before my cellulitis and no-one mentioned a problem then - would deterioation really be seen that quickly? The numbness is definitely still there, in fact I've noticed it persists a long time after I get out the water and all day my toes are too cold. Hmm. Is this one to mention to my GP or wait for my consultant do you think?

After your post I decided to measure my temperature and whoa! All I know is that when I got out the pool it had dropped to below 32 (lowest thermometer measures), and it didn't return to a readable level until over an hour later (32.3). It was still only 34.7 6 hours later. Crazy! Very interesting though, I had no idea it induced that level of cold?! Do hypos normally cause a drop in body temperature? 29 degrees... ugh I really feel for you that must have been extremely unpleasant.

Sorry to hear you had to give up scuba diving. I'm definitely hypo aware and yes, I too really dislike the idea of making concessions to diabetes. So am going to try to continue... We'll see!

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Hey tulip,

The Doppler test is just another tool in the box for your team to diagnose any problems, I was tested while under the care of podiatry for cellulitis and osteomyelitis. Gives slightly more information than just testing a pulse, such as flow rate. Definitely worth having a word with your GP or consultant about the numbness to see if its linked to your sporting activities and diabetes.

I don't think a temperature drop is specifically associated with hypoglycaemia, it was just a set of circumstances that led to the drastic drop with me - hypo triggered profuse sweating and as I was asleep in quite a cold room, the bedclothes became drenched in rapidly cooling sweat, with me in the middle unable to move. Then started to fit. 3 days in hospital feeling really yucky. Check out some of the symptoms for hypothermia, you may find similarities with what you've experienced?

Open Water was certainly a bit shocking, though quite a good film I reckon?! I didn't see it until after I gave up diving, just never thought about the possibility and probably lucky that I didn't!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
tulip
I NEVER get used to being cold
Last week,at a wedding,wearing a dress AND jacket, I was so cold I shivered for 3 hours until I actually vomited and had to go sit in the car with blowers on.Young girls in strrapless outfits were fine. Nurse niece, in bridesmaid's dress, was sent out by cousin to check up on me. I was fine the next day, but exhausted.
Surprisingly, I didn't trigger my allergic response to the cold, which covers me in itching hives for hours. Weird!!!
Hana

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What are you wearing in the pool? Is is a swimming pool (tiles, steps etc) or a natural lake / pool? I would suggest experimenting with wearing appropriate foot cover eg rubber socks (sold to prevent verruca transmission), wetsuit socks, wetsuit booties etc.
Last time I swam in an open water lake (I was marshalling at a triathlon, Northamptonshire, July 09), I wore my farmer john wetsuit trousers and reef shoes, which I brought to wear while standing in water to guide triathletes out. As an aside, canoed up River Cam from Cambridge to Grantchester and back on Tues evening, passing Newnham Riverbank Club, where naturists swim, wearing nothing but swimming caps! Even more un-nerving was seeing a man wearing nothing but boots, using an electric hedge trimmer!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
Was he wearing any socks?
Hana

tulip87

Copepod -
copepod said:
What are you wearing in the pool?
I just wear a costume - for some of the things I swim no wetsuit is allowed so I do not want to get too used to it. Didn't know it was possible to get foot cover only though, that's such a good idea, thank you! Don't suppose you know anywhere good for me to look for it?

Hana -
hanadr said:
I NEVER get used to being cold
My goodness that sounds awful, you poor thing! Perhaps aerobics in a nice room is the way forward. Hope you're feeling better now (sure you are, as I've taken so long to reply to this!!)

kegstore -
tulip87 said:
Open Water was certainly a bit shocking, though quite a good film I reckon?!
Yes, pretty good I agree. I'm just not really into horror-ish films like that I don't think. Am a scaredy cat! Rom-com it is! Thanks for the info on the Doppler, might ask about that next time I go back. Am a week into ANOTHER episode of cellulitis at the moment sadly: same leg, but really dramatic this time (whole middle side of leg from mid calf to groin). On major antibiotic treatment. Not sure this bodes well for swimming future... For one thing am going to be totally unacclimatised when am finally allowed back. Hmph!

Fujifilm

Hello

Not sure how useful this is going to be, but the last hypo I had was outside, it was not that cold but I suffered hypothermia, the paramedics told my wife that when you have a hypo and you are cold the body directs all blood to vital organs, obviously self preservation, which resulted in me getting the hypothermia. :shock:

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Foot cover socks feetlife.co.uk/Buy-Online/Verruca-Socks/408 or
holdall.co.uk/product/9799/anti_verruca_socks Some people are allergic to latex, so check first - most people discover when using latex laboratory gloves or condoms (not in a laboratory!) I haven't worn either type, as I don't need any in a swimming pool, and in open water need something more robust, so these aren't recommendations, just examples. Hope you find an appropriate solution.