Operations and stuff

homer190376

Type of diabetes
Type 1
so after 3 years and one failed operation, I'm fortunate to be able to have a second try at fixing my broken foot/chacot foot, major operation though, total reconstruction and should this one not work, then off with the foot, so fingers crossed.

i'm on the waiting list 6-9 months, although disappointing it give me time to prepare financially and mentally for a 8-10 month recovery.

In February my HbA1c was 83, after a lot of hard work managed to get it down to 62, in 20 years this is the best it has ever been.

although this is a big decision to make it is the right one, as only 43yrs old and a lot of life to live.

Financially probably gonna be crippled, but willing to accept this just to have my foot back. my only question is does anyone have any information regarding help financially? and although my work place say they will keep my job open, I'm not so sure, it will be nearly a year off after all.

Any advice, truly appreciated

thanks.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Do you know if your place of work has signed up for SSP - statutory sick pay?
This is payed according to how long you've been there.
I think the current maximum is 6 months full pay, then 6 months half pay, then it stops.
It's a little complicated with sequential absences.
HR is usually very good at guiding you through SSP.
I have no help to give for government allowances.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you know if your place of work has signed up for SSP - statutory sick pay?
This is payed according to how long you've been there.
I think the current maximum is 6 months full pay, then 6 months half pay, then it stops.
It's a little complicated with sequential absences.
HR is usually very good at guiding you through SSP.
I have no help to give for government allowances.

Struma - Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) isn't full pay at any time, sadly. It is a limited sum, for a maximum of 28 weeks. Employers can choose to pay more, and some offer contractual sickpay arrangements, such as you describe. Indeed, subject to qualifying service, the NHS and most other public service departments do that.

upload_2019-8-25_16-37-50.png

https://www.gov.uk/statutory-sick-pay#targetText=You can get £94.25,less than the statutory amount.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
so after 3 years and one failed operation, I'm fortunate to be able to have a second try at fixing my broken foot/chacot foot, major operation though, total reconstruction and should this one not work, then off with the foot, so fingers crossed.

i'm on the waiting list 6-9 months, although disappointing it give me time to prepare financially and mentally for a 8-10 month recovery.

In February my HbA1c was 83, after a lot of hard work managed to get it down to 62, in 20 years this is the best it has ever been.

although this is a big decision to make it is the right one, as only 43yrs old and a lot of life to live.

Financially probably gonna be crippled, but willing to accept this just to have my foot back. my only question is does anyone have any information regarding help financially? and although my work place say they will keep my job open, I'm not so sure, it will be nearly a year off after all.

Any advice, truly appreciated

thanks.

Homer, I don't have any specific wisdom to offer you on your benefits query, but I just wanted to send every best wish for your op and recovery.

In terms of your return to work, would you be able to undertake some or all of your role from home?