Opinion on carbohydrate or fat study, please?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/12/151215094542.htm

"The researchers found that blocking the body's use of fat did not affect the distance the runners covered before becoming exhausted. Blocking fat use also did not affect the use of carbohydrates. Carbohydrates contributed 83 to 91 percent of the total energy used, the research team wrote. The study shows that for high-intensity, long-duration runs, exercising muscles prefer carbohydrates as their fuel source, regardless of whether the runner has eaten or not, says Jill Leckey, primary author of the study."

I have been looking for studies about refuelling whilst running in ketosis when I stumbled across this.

The conclusion was to eat carbohydrates for exercise.

However I couldn't immediately find any indication that any of the test subjects were fat adapted. All they seemed to be doing was tinkering with the fat metabolism. Allegedly this was done by giving them Nicotinic Acid.

"Niacin (or nicotinic acid) is another name for vitamin B3, which is 1 of 8 B vitamins needed by the body to break down fats and proteins and to convert carbohydrates into energy. There are two other forms of niacin, nicotinamide (or niacinamide) and inositol hexanicotinate, which serve as sources of vitamin B3.".

Huh? Nothing to say that giving Niacin blocks the use of fats by the body.

I now think that this is bogus science but if someone knows otherwise, please wave a flag. o_O

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reading only your post not any links, I’m amazed they were funded.
Asking glucose burning people to not burn fats means their bodies chose to burn glucose seems to be the crux of it.

Same study the other way round would be far more interesting.

Reactions: Ponchu

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My comment was more sarcasm than an actual request or suggestion as it would yield sensible results rather than the darn obvious. However they do look interesting so I’ll have a read. Thanks.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
No real data available to even show what was given to the runners, let alone what their normal diet was, but I'm pretty sure you can assume their diet was not LCHF. It's just a written summary without the details.

So, they blocked the runners ability to use stored fat as a fuel source and gave them... who knows what form of carbohydrate and determined that the body prefers carbs. ...Brilliant! Given the body wasn't given access to any other energy source this seems rather predictable, who funded this rubbish, Gatorade?

Classic case of stacking a study to reach a conclusion you want it to reach.

Just my opinion, I could be completely wrong and this study could go on to win a Nobel prize.

Reactions: HSSS

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Some of the winners of Ironman and Ironwoman would beg to differ, I believe.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
You know, 6 mths ago I would have laughed at someone telling me about being fat adapted and going all day on coffee with a nob of butter.

Knowing what I know now makes me worry about science today full stop. How much of modern 'science' is as polluted and irrelevant but quoted as fact?

M

Member496333

Seems Mother Nature really messed this one up then. Giving us a machanism to store unused fuel but no means with which to access it in times of need.

Junk.