Type 2 Opting Out of Diabetic Check Ups

Should patients be asked to opt out of Diabetic Checks?

• No

Votes: 19 76.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 6 24.0%

• Total voters

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I personally have no reason to see my diabetes nurse, which is arranged annually. So far I have always gone, but if things continue as they are I may decline in future. It isn't compulsory.

I do, however, see a good reason to attend the blood letting sessions, currently every 6 months. At my surgery the blood letting sessions are done by letter invitation and I get a letter every 6 months. I have the HbA1c, cholesterol, full lipids, kidney & liver function, full blood count, serum bones for calcium etc. and my urine is sent off for lab analysis for protein. On my last visit I was also given blood checks for B12, Vit D, ferritin, iron, folate, GGT and thyroid. The full works one might say. I keep all these results on a spread sheet and compare them. Any nasty downward trends and I would be called in by my GP and if not, I would go see her anyway.

I may add I am in excellent health with well controlled BS as per my regular and frequent testing and a Libre sensor from time to time, but it is good to know that my 6 monthly blood tests confirm I am in good health. I regard the kidney/liver/FBC/urine/GGT tests essential. The rest more out of interest.

Duncan57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well, I don't think opting out is the way to go, but if the individual has no intention of attending, the at least it becomes clear.

Whilst a letter may seem like nothing (for the three attempts), each 2nd class postage stamp is 55p, plus the costs of the paper and envelope, plus the time of the person printing and packaging them, not to mention creating the repeated mail merges.
Haven't surgery's heard of e mail?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

The trouble with email communication is that the patient might email them back! (this is a terrible prospect, apparently)

My surgery does not give out email details. We have to phone or visit. Mind you, you can rarely get through on the phone...

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Mine have, but don't use it to communicate with patients, thus far.

Even in "sensitive" commerce there were, and still do remain some challenges around communicating with the general public, in a secure manner. Whilst many of us might be comfortable with sensitive file transfers, nit everyone is.

In my experience, many practices are adopting the electronic age quite grudgingly. It just isn't their comfort zone.