optometrist would like opinions on retinal screening

poppyowner

I was diagnosed back in end Jan this year and in March I had my first ever Retinal Screening done in same building as my doctors.
THANK GOD I did as it was detected that I had a Retinal Detatchment and that if undiagnosed I would've been blind in that eye by Xmas this year! I had the surgery done in April which ended up with me having a buckle attached and a gas bubble inserted. The buckle is there for life but the bubble has now absorbed.
The op was not nice by any means but I was in and out of the hospital within hours.
I am just so grateful for the Screening as otherwise I could've lost the sight. As it is I now have reduced sight in that eye but I see it this way - some sight is better than no sight!
I think it is terrible that screenings are not free and accessible the whole country over!

Jill

Thirsty

I use the local branch of Boot's and don't have any complaints. No pressure at all to buy new spectacles from them, in fact, quite the opposite; the optician noted a slight change in vision, but said I'd be unlikely to notice any difference if I bought a new pair and advised me not to bother! He did ask if I'd considered contact lenses or corrective laser treatment and explained the costs, pros and cons and procedures involved. Not for me, but it's good to be given the option.

The only minor niggle is that it seems to take a long time for the results to arrive at my GP's surgery, but whether that's Boot's at fault or the NHS, I really don't know.

MaryChristine

dipsticky said:
I don't have a problem with my eyes. Should I get them checked ?

D.

Neither had I, as far as I was aware, until my optician found that actually I did :shock: - so I'd say yes, get them checked!

MaryChristine

saxtonj

Hi All,

I am newly diagnosed Type 2 Nov 08. Am on metformin 3 times a day straight away. I haven't had a retinal scan as yet and to be honest am worried.

I guess i should stop being a big wus and just go sort it out. Got my checkup with diabetic nurse next week so should i ask her about places to go etc? no-one seems to have suggested or contacted me about retinal screening at all?

All really worrying really, cus you read all the horror stories, here's what can happen. I ought to stop reading em really.

Thanks

James

Vegman007

Stop reading and GO, like everything else it`s better caught early, but it`s proberly just worry.
One thing i will say when your told take someone with you it`s a dam good idear, do it.
Oh and take a pair of sun glasses to.
Graham1441 :twisted: :twisted:

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
I am in Barnet PCT area and get a free annual retinal screening (camera) at a company called Speedyeyes, who operate from a local health centre and only do retinal screening. The result is discussed with me immediately after the exam and I get a confirmatory letter immediately. I also have an free annual eye test at an optometrist who is also a friend. She also does a slit lamp examination (with drops) and says that the backs of my eyes are those of a 25 year old - not bad at nearly 56 and about 11 years of diabetes!

Doug