Oranges.....Good or Bad ?

Janspice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I do feel for you it can be so confusing! When my daughter was diagnosed we recieved pictures of plates advising of a typical meal the carb content was in my opinion too much and other literature on food. We were given very little information at all. The health team we were with were not particularly helpful and the practice nurse said my daughter should check her blood levels 4-5 times a day. Normal life stopped it revolved around taking blood levels. Finally we saw my daughter wonderful endocrinologist who was furious with the information we were given and said to take blood level twice a week as she is type two and at that time on low dose medicine. What a relief poor little thing she had run out of fingers they were so sore with all of the testing. We moved to another health team who are wonderful and have fantastic support and advice. It appears that a lot of well meaning health advisers seem to have their own opinion on how to manage diabetes but most of them do not suffer with the disease and have had one size fit all training. Find an expert or as near as dam it that you can trust an rely on. I find diabetes.co.uk website is fantastic resource and it great to speak to people here. I think it's one of those sinarious that you never stop learning about. I am my daughters full time carer my problem is she has a learning difficulty and cannot always say how she is feeling so I have to go by how she looks or how she is behaving I wish I knew how it felt when your blood sugar is either high or low? Take care of your self.

Reactions: 2 people

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for that......going to test again in the morning ......am watching what I eat and see if it comes down before going to nurse as I don't have a lot of faith in her.......I think I should have started testing a while ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
O.k. Have now tested again, at 6:am this morning.......it has gone down to 17.0........this was before eating anything, or having morning cuppa.........at least it is going the right way !!.........Del.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
.. and what will breakfast consist of ?

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
O.k.......Diet is pretty much the same on a daily basis, at least it was until a couple of days ago.........breakfast cup of tea and toast........lunch.....baked potato with either baked beans or prawns.........tea....two sandwiches, mostly ham and cheese.....supper, couple of biscuits.......various cups of tea or coffee during the day, with one teaspoon of canderel.......blackcurrent squash with no added sugar.........I did have the odd chocolate biscuit but have now stopped these.......oh and a daily orange or banana........Del.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
You'll have to rethink that diet if you haven't already. Toast no (wheat), potato no (starch), baked beans no (sugars), bread no (see toast), biscuits no, (off limits), bananas no. Don't know how much it's changed since "a couple of days ago", but it definitely needs a shake up of big proportions.

More fish, way more above ground veg, water water water, protein (eggs) bacon, lean meats, chicken etc etc.

We gotta get those numbers down as they're far too high. 17.0 is not good BUT it can be managed and quite easily with the right diet. What are you eating now? You need to cut carbs big time, add good fats and dump sugars where you can. Single figures can be attained with the right foods so that is your first target.

EDIT - Fear not ... plenty of people have had higher recordings and now have them under control. Same can happen with you and slow experiments and testing may allow you to eat portions of those foods so don't worry yet as you'll get there. Many here subscribe to the LCHF regime (low carb high fat) with wonderful results

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 12 people

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Went out for breakfast about 3 hours ago........sausage bap.....round of toast....mug of tea with no sugar.......just tested....26.6........not good......now going to have an orange, and test again in about an hour......Del..

C

catherinecherub

I am going to tag @daisy1 for you @Del 80 and she will provide you with some basic information that will help you decide what you need to consider with an eating plan.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Del, if you recheck the previous posts, most people have advised you that you need to cut your carb intake. You've had a bap (bread) for brekkie, and a round of toast - that is really going to affect your levels. I understand that you want to check out the Orange but it would really be better to concentrate on what you know affects you - and that's bread, that much is obvious. Bread turns to glucose in the blood, so you really need to address it. Maybe have egg and bacon instead, with no bap, toast?

Reactions: 8 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I had to look up what a sausage bap was given I'm not from the UK .... now that I have, I'm no longer left wondering.

Forget the orange test pronto and make an appointment to see your GP this morning .... 26.6 needs some attention now..

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
O.k. thanks for that.......just had orange, testing again in about an hour.......Del.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I had to look up what a sausage bap was given I'm not from the UK .... now that I have, I'm no longer left wondering.

Forget the orange test pronto and make an appointment to see your GP this morning .... 26.6 needs some attention now..

Saturday Mike, a lot of surgeries are closed after midday:grumpy:

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi Del 80 I was diagnosed Type2 5 weeks ago, my BG reading at that time was 19.3. It is now down to 6-7. I cut out Potatoes/ rice/ pasta/ bread, just now introduced Lidl high protein roll no more than 1 a week. Also bought some Burgen bread this week, no more than 2 -3 slices weekly. I eat krackerbreads/ rivitas/ fish/- mackeral fillets in tins/ cottage cheese Alpro yogurt etc; in the fruit line I eat daily plums melon and pears ---- this works for me not everyone can have fruit. I also have lots of chicken and veg. Poached eggs and grilled bacon and tomatoes or mushrooms for breakfast, I am only telling you this to give you some ideas. Other people on this site can give you there ideas as well as what to try, like I said we are all different eaters, but keep testing 2hrs before and after you eat that is the best result. Stick with us you will be fine. Don't worry.:):):):)

Reactions: 4 people
C

catherinecherub

Hi @Del 80,
I notice from your posts that you joined the forum over 2 years ago.
Has your medication been increased from when you were diagnosed and can you also tell us your latest HBA1c?
Do you see a HCP regularly and are they aware of the high readings that you are experiencing? Have they given you any advice?

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Del 80,
I notice from your posts that you joined the forum over 2 years ago.
Has your medication been increased from when you were diagnosed and can you also tell us your latest HBA1c?
Do you see a HCP regularly and are they aware of the high readings that you are experiencing? Have they given you any advice?

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, Yes I was diagnosed about two years ago, and my ''healthy eating'' has probably lapsed since then.......I was in hospital a couple of times last year, for blood clot by pass operations in my legs.......at that time they were testing 3 or 4 times a day, and said my B/S levels were fine......not sure what HBA1c means ?........Del.

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, Just tested again.........19.5.......going to have sardines for lunch, then test again about an hour after that.......Del.