Ordered My First Sd Codefree Kit :)

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
I and some of my fellow diabetics at the local support group have found it is easier to plan. We tend to plan what we eat and work out all the lurid data, then stick to it. There seems to be more truth and accuracy in the fact before than the facts after. I had the dawn phenomena too and a protein snack last thing before bed helped heaps. Now that I have the BGLS where they should be (after the Newcastle diet, heaps of exercise and tootling along a mediterranean diet) my dawn phenomena has disappeared as well.
As someone has already commented, things take a while to settle down - the human body is a sneaky and uncooperative beast. Just keep at it, follow good advice from your medics and the results usually come along (even if in fits and starts).
Best of luck you will get there.

My inaugural fasting reading this morning was 9.1, which alarmed me a little and I wondered whether this was just me or the dawn phenomenon. I guess I'll find out after a few more fasting readings. However, two hours after my breakfast of scrambled eggs it was down to 6.6, then up to 7.0 just before lunch. Lunch was a weird combo of puy lentil salad and chicken casserole, followed by a 10-minute brisk walk around the block. See what happens in two hours.

Reactions: 2 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Quirkybee - Hello and Welcome. Why not snack on just plain raw nuts, such as Almonds, Pecans, Walnuts and Cashews they are great for lowering and controlling blood sugars.

Reactions: 6 people

Quirkybee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello Liam and thank you for your suggestion.
I've researched which nuts are the best and I regularly eat a very small handful of walnuts, macadamia and almonds. Although I read that cashews are much higher, so unsure about those.
I seem to read conflicting advice (not from this website), but through various media and other sources and it just confuses me to be honest. I'm sticking to what I have learnt so far and to what everyone has said on here, do thank you so much :)

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Quirkybee - That's sensible. If you are ever in doubt about anything Diabetes related - do post questions no matter how trivial you make think they are! There's a lot of people on this forum who are very knowledgeable and we all aim to help and support one another the best we can. Enjoy the rest of your evening.

Quirkybee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you Liam, I'll try :)
My bloods about 45 miss ago before tea were 7.2. My last meal was plaice and chips and 2 ounces of white bread and butter at 12.30, as this was a monthly shopping day with a best friend, a treat day, so I'm allowing myself to gave that.
I shall test later to see what my reading is. I always cook from fresh every day from work, but I had an Aldi Chicken and prawn and chorizo paella (eeeek!!!!) 425cals for tea. It's probably my 2nd ore packed meal in a couple of years, but it was quick this eve as not long arrived home.
Thanks again :)

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Liam and thank you for your suggestion.
I've researched which nuts are the best and I regularly eat a very small handful of walnuts, macadamia and almonds. Although I read that cashews are much higher, so unsure about those.
I seem to read conflicting advice (not from this website), but through various media and other sources and it just confuses me to be honest. I'm sticking to what I have learnt so far and to what everyone has said on here, do thank you so much :)

You're right about cashews, ~30% carbs, macadamia are my current fav at 6% along with walnuts for my breakfast with a couple of dollops of Lidl's Greek yogurt keeps me going till lunch.
How did the paella go down?
Hj

Quirkybee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Lovely thank you, rarely have paella, even though it would have tasted better if could from fresh, but I can't stretch time or turn it back, lol ;)
Must try and get my head around this LCHF diet. Totally puzzling me haha

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lovely thank you, rarely have paella, even though it would have tasted better if could from fresh, but I can't stretch time or turn it back, lol ;)
Must try and get my head around this LCHF diet. Totally puzzling me haha

When I started mine I went through my storeroom and threw out everything that had more then 10% carbs, it was a lot.... even my impressive selection of beers, they went to chums at work. There was not a lot left. I had coleslaw in nearly evening meal for months.... hardly make it now, replaced by Polish sauerkraut.
In general I don't eat many things over 7% carbs and if they are they tend to be small amounts of high impact flavours.
It was noticed in another thread that the male of the species seems to be able to eat the same things over and over again... which is certainly true for me.
I would suggest going gently into LCHF, some folk report feeling out of sorts if they crash into, call carb flu... it has a name. Just try to reduce the bread, pasta and rice type things.
It is worth it, promise.

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Jenny Ruhl has a site and also a book - blood sugar 101- which is very informative. You could google her.

I would also suggest that you have a look at the dietdoctor.com site as that has loads of info too