Organic Diabetic Chocolate that tastes great

Dislikes
incompetent people, having to deal with plebs..
I have a client who produces certified organic chocolate bars that taste great :D You can eat them as diabetics because they are made from coconut sugar which is also a great alternative for diabetics that like sweet things... Coconut sugar has a very low glycaemic index therefore you don't get sugar spikes... it's safe to eat :clap:

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Sounds yummy , i know that other diabetic chocolate they sell in the shop is no good for you its about time someone came up with a alternative for us diabetics, plus my daughter was diagnosed type 1 4 weeks ago and i know she misses her littlle treats of being able to eat a chocolate bar.

keep us informed of it i would love to try it

tracey167

Dislikes
Hi Tracey,

I would love to get the distribution rights for the UK/Europe then hopefully you would see it everywhere :)

Will keep you in the loop.

TMG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Chocolate
Thorntons do a Diabetic chocolate and it's great, particularly the dark chocolate one and the use all their traditional technique to produce it so it's also beautifully smooth in texture, literally like the real thing! :clap:

Dislikes
Hi Jeanette, probably not because it would be a costly post coming from Mindanao, that if the postie doesn't eat it en route :lol:

TokSik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not having sweet stuff to eat often enough !! But I make a lot of my own without sugars
Re: Home-made Diabetic Chocolate that tastes great

Healthy Homemade Chocolate
A simple and delicious homemade chocolate that is GAPS, paleo and primal approved (and definitely kid approved!)

Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 5 mins
Total time: 10 mins

Ingredients
150 grams of Cocoa Butter (or Coconut oil - see below - I use KTC brand (500grams for £2)from a local Asian supermarket)
75 - 100 grams of Cocoa Powder (depending on how strong a chocolate flavour you prefer)
1 x 200 gram Creamed coconut
30 or so sweetener tablets dissolved in a tablespoonful of boiling water - to taste- using half this amount or less will make a bittersweet chocolate (not aspartame based - Stevia is probably better for you, but I use the saccharin/Sodium Cyclamate ones from Lidl, which do me fine)
Optional: 1 x teaspoon of Vanilla Extract or other flavours (orange or mint extract, etc) to suit your own taste;
Optional: Toasted chopped almonds or other nuts, or Desiccated coconut.

Instructions
Melt Cocoa butter (or Coconut oil) and the creamed coconut in a double boiler or a glass bowl on top of a small pan with an inch of water (make sure water isn't touching bowl) over medium heat.
When the cocoa butter / coconut oil and the creamed coconut is completely melted, remove it from the heat and add the cocoa powder, sweetener liquid, vanilla and other optional flavour extracts.
Make sure all ingredients are well incorporated and smooth.
Pour the chocolate in to moulds or onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a glass pan to harden.
Let harden for several hours at room temperature until hardened and remove from moulds. You can also stick in the fridge to harden more quickly. Will store for over a week at room temperature or can be kept refrigerated for a lot longer (but you'll likely have eaten all of it well before then, as it's VERY Moorish).

Notes
You can also use coconut oil in place of the cocoa butter which is expensive to buy - even on E-bay, but will produce a very healthy tasty chocolate, but it will not be as thick or creamy (but still very good - and a LOT cheaper to make). If you use coconut oil, I recommend hardening and storing it in the fridge. I also use desiccated coconut to bulk it out (which makes it like a macaroon in the form of a BIG bar) - use the amount to suit your own taste.
Additionally, if you're worried about using coconut oil or cocoa butter (which are essentially highly saturated fats, you can make the same chocolate using just the creamed coconut (doubled or tripled up in quantity, to suit your own taste, though it's harder to mix, being a much thicker liquid). But on the other hand, it does stay solid (as opposed to fudgy) at room temperature.

Reactions: 4 people
Dislikes
Thank you so much TokSik for your lovely recipe I'm sure there will be lots of takers once people read through and see your post :)

Helsin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm just trying to make a chocolate with cocoa, sweetener and block coconut cream. I hope it is more to my taste than others I have tried and binned using cocoa powder, notably peanut butter fudge (yech!). I think it's just that my chocolate taste is towards Galaxy creamy smoothness. Dark, bitter and gritty just doesn't do it.