Other ideas for eating fat on Keto diet, please?

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been Keto for 3 months now and done well on it, but colder UK weather means salads with olive oil or homemade olive oil mayonnaise aren’t quite so appealing! Also, I’m not able to eat cheese (except cottage) but do stock grass-fed butter, double cream and coconut oil.

Also, I’ve recently been having 20% fat mince, either lamb from Waitrose (£10 for three 500g packs) or the beef or pork from Sainsbury’s (which is only £1.65 for 500g). Many thanks for any advice!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you’re happy with it bacon, or other meats like salami. Personally I try to avoid too much of the processed ones. Fatty cuts of normal meats. Add butter to veg. Nuts like Brazil’s or macadamia. I quite often have extra thick double cream with a sprinkle of eurythritol or stevia as a treat snack. Otherwise I’m struggling to think of any you haven’t mentioned. Fats are for energy and weight maintenance. If you’re already happy with both no need to up the fats imo

Reactions: Serena51

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
nuts (esp macadamia)
pate
cream sauces and curries (cow or coconut)
butter on veg
cream on desserts (e.g sugar free jellies, mug cakes and rhubarb)

But I, like @HSSS , think that unless you are unwillingly losing weight, there is no need to add in extra fat.

Reactions: pdmjoker

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Bake an avocado with an egg in the middle of it.
Italian deli pigs cheek lardons (guanciale pronounced gooan charley) are very fatty compared to the modern bacon in supermarkets and are truly delicious and very filling. Good to add to soup, salads or even cauli rice plus pesto!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bake an avocado with an egg in the middle of it.
Italian deli pigs cheek lardons (guanciale pronounced gooan charley) are very fatty compared to the modern bacon in supermarkets and are truly delicious and very filling. Good to add to soup, salads or even cauli rice plus pesto!

Ooooh,........... Pork and beef cheek is a Delicious cut, and they make a fabulous casserole. Our butcher is quite often out of them, as they have become so popular in the hospitality trade, which is their main business.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Bulletproof coffee. Mine is made with coconut oil, butter and double cream. Caveat with this one is that I do not wish to lose any more weight. Otherwise it is cheese, all cheese, all the way!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ooooh,........... Pork and beef cheek is a Delicious cut, and they make a fabulous casserole. Our butcher is quite often out of them, as they have become so popular in the hospitality trade, which is their main business.
And they are a cheap cut so don't tell everyone!

Reactions: Serena51 and Nicel

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you’re happy with it bacon
Thank you. I had forgotten bacon! We have prosciutto crudo (dry cured ham which only has salt added). :)
Nuts like Brazil’s or macadamia
Great idea! :)
Italian deli pigs cheek lardons
Another great tip! :)
Bulletproof coffee. Mine is made with coconut oil, butter and double cream.
Sounds good! :)
Cream or butter on most things for me
Helpful! :)

Thanks everyone! :)

Nicel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bulletproof coffee. Mine is made with coconut oil, butter and double cream. Caveat with this one is that I do not wish to lose any more weight. Otherwise it is cheese, all cheese, all the way!

Have you found this coffee is increasing your ketones?

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I do believe if you are a happy carnivore, and keto, eating fatty yummy cuts of meat (and seafood) provides ample healthy fats, especially if you cook it in butter/coconut oil/lard/olive oil (basically - healthy fat of choice). And yeah - if dairy is your thing and you are tolerant - cheese and cream - oh yes!

My fave snack is pork slices fried in coconut oil or butter, and then cutting off and crisping up the fat slithers in the pan. I find I do not miss sweeties/lollies/candy when chomping on those fried fat slithers of an evening in front of the tele! YUM! (I am obviously currently hungry:).)

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My fave snack is pork slices fried in coconut oil or butter, and then cutting off and crisping up the fat slithers in the pan. I find I do not miss sweeties/lollies/candy when chomping on those fried fat slithers of an evening in front of the tele! YUM! (I am obviously currently hungry:).)
Great tip! I'm hungry too now! :)

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Another great keto snack is grilled salami and cheese on top (I do half of them mozzarella and half parmesan).

This is particularly good when missing pizza, and one cannot be bothered making a fathead pizza. Which, by the way, is excellent in the fat department - a pizza base made of mainly cheese! How could it not be?

I frequently thank my lucky stars for being very dairy tolerant. I guess I should be thanking my poor forebears who died of cow pox for my present line to get that way! Big price to pay for cheese, but oh well, tis done.

That is another way of saying - only you will know if you are dairy tolerant or not. And most of the world is not dairy tolerant. (Something like 75%. It's a big chunk of folk who are better off not eating the cheese! But coconut products are way yummy, and every food culture has their delightful fatty treats.)

Which brings me to - as a fatty treat - anything about a coconut (the flesh and the milk) - yum!

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Another great keto snack is grilled salami and cheese on top (I do half of them mozzarella and half parmesan).

This is particularly good when missing pizza, and one cannot be bothered making a fathead pizza. Which, by the way, is excellent in the fat department - a pizza base made of mainly cheese! How could it not be?

I frequently thank my lucky stars for being very dairy tolerant. I guess I should be thanking my poor forebears who died of cow pox for my present line to get that way! Big price to pay for cheese, but oh well, tis done.

That is another way of saying - only you will know if you are dairy tolerant or not. And most of the world is not dairy tolerant. (Something like 75%. It's a big chunk of folk who are better off not eating the cheese! But coconut products are way yummy, and every food culture has their delightful fatty treats.)

Which brings me to - as a fatty treat - anything about a coconut (the flesh and the milk) - yum!
Thank you, but perhaps you missed where I put in the original post:
"I’m not able to eat cheese (except cottage)"

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Oh I did @pdmjoker, I am very sorry!

Grilled salami on its own - YUM.

Coconut flesh - YUM. (I have been known to dip my pieces of coconut in cream, but the cream is clearly optional!)

Avocado with balsamic or aioli in the middle, or make a guacamole with a heap of avocados, lemon and garlic. Put a huge amount of that on top of a big juicy fatty steak for a meal, on its own for a snack. YUM.

Fatty lamb chops, listening to the wee lambs baaing in the distance... (I live in rural NZ!), with liberal amounts of homemade mint sauce (no sugar natch - just vinegar and fresh mint).

Asparagus wrapped in bacon with butter poured over (or bacon fat, duck fat, lard, coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil - healthy fat of your choice in other words), with garlic all roasted together - one of my faves.

Macadamia nuts galore. With heaps of salt.

Fatty fish and seafood of all kinds. (Ditto on the NZ thing. Ocean everywhere.)

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh I did @pdmjoker, I am very sorry!

Grilled salami on its own - YUM.

Coconut flesh - YUM. (I have been known to dip my pieces of coconut in cream, but the cream is clearly optional!)

Avocado with balsamic or aioli in the middle, or make a guacamole with a heap of avocados, lemon and garlic. Put a huge amount of that on top of a big juicy fatty steak for a meal, on its own for a snack. YUM.

Fatty lamb chops, listening to the wee lambs baaing in the distance... (I live in rural NZ!), with liberal amounts of homemade mint sauce (no sugar natch - just vinegar and fresh mint).

Asparagus wrapped in bacon with butter poured over (or bacon fat, duck fat, lard, coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil - healthy fat of your choice in other words), with garlic all roasted together - one of my faves.

Macadamia nuts galore. With heaps of salt.

Fatty fish and seafood of all kinds. (Ditto on the NZ thing. Ocean everywhere.)
Some super AND yummy ideas - thank you! :)

Reactions: AloeSvea