Other meats

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just wondered if others here ever ate the meats like venison ostrich etc as and alternative to lamb pork and beef sometimes
I really love venison and ostrich and I want to try an crocodile steak but they had sold out of that, apparently more people are eating this type of meat now it is much more affordable that it used to be
Venison is really good for you as it is rich in iron it contains more than any other meat and it is low in saturated fat if you don't like the fatty meats. I have got an ostrich steak for my evening meal later and in my freezer there some ostrich burgers and venison sausages my husband really likes the sausages.I am not really a sausage lover but I will eat those they are so tasty

Last edited by a moderator:
L

lily42

I have tried venison and don't really like it, although my husband does. I tend to stick to beef and chicken. I have had grass fed buffalo and that was delicious, but I'm not adventurous enough to try anything else. I don't really like sausages unless they are beef ones.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I've tried venison sausage and burgers and honestly would not have been able to tell the difference.

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I lived in Alabama for ten years and had venison often, far more than beef at that time. I enjoyed it, but haven't had it since moving five years ago.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just added venison steaks to my tesco online list, never tried them before!
A meat we had a lot of when I was little is rabbit, so rarely seen in shops these day and I used to like it. Maybe I should send my lurcher out to catch me one, although he'd probably eat it before I could get to it ;)

Reactions: 4 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll eat anything although I've yet to try crocodile. I'm on the lookout for home-grown ostrich from one of the local farm shops. We had venison for Xmas one year but it was rather deer :hilarious: Mrs D has Waitrose venison & red wine sausages when I have my Black Farmers.
The more the merrier, I reckon. But it does need to be well reared.

Reactions: 6 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was a child my father used to hunt and I was introduced various kinds of game - I love venison but my husband doesn't care much for stronger tasting meat so the only times I've eaten it over the last few years was when I went out for meals with workmates - some of the local pubs did great venison and red wine casseroles. I love rabbit too, and enjoyed jugged hare the one time I had the opportunity to taste it.

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just added venison steaks to my tesco online list, never tried them before!
A meat we had a lot of when I was little is rabbit, so rarely seen in shops these day and I used to like it. Maybe I should send my lurcher out to catch me one, although he'd probably eat it before I could get to it ;)
Yes we ate a lot of rabbitt when I was young..that was a long time ago..my mother used to roast it like chicken or make a casserole with it it was really tasty most people did eat it back then

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes we ate a lot of rabbitt when I was young..that was a long time ago..my mother used to roast it like chicken or make a casserole with it it was really tasty most people did eat it back then

I believe rabbit used to be a popular source of meat during the war -people could keep their edible bunnies in their back gardens or yards. I remember just after the war having a little friend whose family had done (and AFAIK) were still doing this - their rabbits apparently got fed on tea leaves!!!:eek::eek:

Robbity

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
We eat venison, pheasant, mutton, goat and veal as alternatives.

munday1932

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
cold weather.People who criticize my town but don't help to make it better.Please can I go back to me user name which is Kentish maid
we kept our own rabbits during the war we knew they were for food mum roasted them and we took the skins to a firm and sold it more pocket money for us .

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Memory coming through ... people cycling in Peru with big bundles of hay?straw? on the back to feed their guinea pigs ready for the pot ... :)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I saw a clip on TV recently showing Peruvian homes with their little Guineas running around loose and quite unaware of their fate... I think it was in series about our pets.

From you post I don't suppose you ever tasted one?

Robbity

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
sheep are good dog meat
All my dogs - from preference - have valued pork, bacon, and sausages above all other meats - and this has been initially from smell alone before they've ever tasted them! :p My sister's Shelties have also been bacon lovers.

Robbity

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Memory coming through ... people cycling in Peru with big bundles of hay?straw? on the back to feed their guinea pigs ready for the pot ... :)

I can't remember which Asian country he came from, but a friend I had years ago told me they ate chipmunks a lot where he came from.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All my dogs - from preference - have valued pork, bacon, and sausages above all other meats - and this has been initially from smell alone before they've ever tasted them! :p My sister's Shelties have also been bacon lovers.

Robbity
to be honest, if you can't feed a dog on lean meat, why would you try and feed humans lean meat?

a fat pig would be good tucker for them.
in the city, roo is too dear to feed dogs on even if it was good for then. though I think they do an offcut mix for city dogs
I should have said I was referring to working dogs.
http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/210961-kangaroo-meat-for-dogs-and-cats/
It is very low in fat but high in protein. My mother nearly starved her Kelpie/Boxer cross by feeding her kangaroo for a while. It was too lean and the weight just plummeted off her. It took months to feed her up enough that she didn't look like a walking skeleton anymore. She's a weird dog, though. Very active and only eats barely enough to keep her ticking over.

Last edited by a moderator:

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
I actually tried whale steak when I went to Reykjavik over Christmas. It was surprisingly meaty (I expected at least a little bit of fishy taste or texture) and I can see why it's a delicacy, though it was a little dry towards the edges of the steak.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I've tried venison sausage and burgers and honestly would not have been able to tell the difference.

It's one of those products that are over-priced and your expectations are high, I thought they were rather dry and not very nice at all.