Other uses for metformin

Cowboyjim

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/magazines/allwoman/This-PCOS-problem
This came up this morning... well, I have heard of the use of met to aid non-DMs slim a bit but not heard of its effects on fertility... I suppose this has little to do with me as a man but it makes me wonder what the side-effects are apart from the obvious ones... all drugs will affect us in more than one way (other than the intended one) but this is starting to bother me... hmm... 8)

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hmm, thats a new one on me too. I did read not so long ago about women who wanted to become pregnant be put on Metformin, but that was for weight loss before they became pregnant.

Cowboyjim

Maybe this is how it works.... I popped this up in a hurry but it seemed to me to a good one since it is written by a medico and may be more than just an incidental benefit of weight loss... but hey wow, a triple treat! Except for the stomach troubles but they last but weeks... or so they insist! 8)

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's given quiet common to women with pcso to help conceive I know the doctor at hospital to suggest me chat to the gp about it if I want to start to try for a baby.

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Because of the fact that pcso is connected to insulin residence and metformin can help in the way insulin is absorbed in the body. not sure who came up with it but I have friends with children who have used it to help them well over 10 years ago.

mrawfell

It can be used to cause constipation, ( if you have the "runs" ), or it can be used as a source of flatulence.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
abs said:
It's given quiet common to women with pcso to help conceive I know the doctor at hospital to suggest me chat to the gp about it if I want to start to try for a baby.

Our youngest daughter takes it for PCOS but the medics seem to think that an op may prove better for her now.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
375 lindyloo said:
Abs-sorry for my ignorance-but what's pcso?

PCOS = polycystic ovary syndrome ...a most obnoxious blight on a woman's life :(

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
One of the hormonal changes in 2/3 of women with PCOS is an increase in testosterone. This might be spontaneous ie the ovary in some women may just produce more testosterone or it might be caused by the action of insulin and/or another hormone: luteinising hormone.
(the hormone that plays a crucial part in ovulation and preparing the lining of the uterus for implantation)

One treatment is to use the combined contraceptive pill to decrease testosterone but unfortunately women who are already overweight face an increased risk of a blood clot. The pill can also cause weight gain so not very helpful if a woman is already overweight. (it's not much good either if a woman wants to become pregnant)

When a woman is insulin resistant , as are many women with PCOS , her body produces more insulin in compensation and this
'has a side effect in the body of stimulating the ovary to produce more testosterone.Reducing insulin by diet, weight loss or drugs results in a lowering of testosterone and improved symptoms of PCOS.The only drug currently available in the UK which reliablyreduces insulin concentrations* is Metformin".................. Metformin is effective in reducing testosterone
levels and in making the menstrual cycle more regular.

Met can also help with weight loss
http://www.endocrineonline.org/pdf%20box/pcos%2Bmet.pdf

Sugar free Stu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well as a chap taking 2500mg a day im very upset to find it has that effect on testosterone and the lack of info provided regarding this matter.